General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

please help stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Default please help stalling

hello im new to the site and need some help. i have a 1993 saturn sl1 sohc 170000mi. recently my car started running like garbage. really bad fuel economy and running really rough. i checked the codes and traced the problem to my egr circuit, code 26, 32, 45. so i checked my egr valve, cleaned it with a can of carb cleaner because it was full of soot, replaced it back in the car and checked it. it holds vacume. so i assumed that it was ok. checked my egr controol solonoid. dead tried finding one from parts store no one caries them they are all out. at the chevy dealer it costs like $60, found a good one in the junk yard replaced that and cleared the codes. started the car up and ran like a dream. cool i thought. so i drove it to work ran great there and home. the next day got almost all the way to work at a stop light the car died. the car would not restart for anything. i had to get out and i tore the heck out of my hand reaching behind the air cleaner and yanked the hose off the egr valve the car started up and i made it to work. with the hose off the car it runs good but i will be driving down the road and all the sudden it will stall only with the hose off the car will start right back up. this does not triger any codes in the computer for me to go off of. please help any advice anyone has would be apprecieated. thanks

Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Sounds to me like you need to go back to the junk yard and get that EGR valve too. I think your old one is sticking shut.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM

im open to trying that but when i suck on the hose coming off the egr valve i do hear the valve moveing inside it. do you still think that it would need to be replaced?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Well, it does seem pretty coincidental that it does not stall when you unplug it. To me that says the EGR is faulty. But, keep in mind that I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be. I have kept all of my vehicles going for 40 years, but I am just a tinkerer. I can't afford to pay someone else to work on my stuff, so I don't care if it takes me months to figure something out. I'm a very stubborn son of a...... gun. LOL

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 PM

How are those Meat Packers doing?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 PM

im the same way i cant afford to pay someont to fix it for me and im really tight with my wallet. but i did say that it does stall with the hose disconected from the egr valve but with the hose unhooked the car will restart. with the hose connected the car will not start up again untill i disconect the hose from the egr valve. like i said i reall apprecieate any help people will give me. sorry im not really sure how the packers are doing not a fan.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM

thanks for your help for anyone who has a simmiler problen the problem ended up being two fold. i had to replace the egr solonoid, the real problem ended up being a faulty ignition module, that was droping spark on different cylinders at irrigular times (not all the time only once and a while) and then multipule cylinder other times. i replaced the moduel and the car is running great. not a stumble or hickup or stall. back to getting 42mpg and loveing it. again thanks for the help jeff

Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Yes sir, it always turns out to be something. As always that sort of a problem can hardly be diagnosed via a car forum.