Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

1997 Saturn SC2 problems stalling help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:36 PM

so i get in my wicked sick saturn sc2 today to go work and i get there perfectly fine but come lunch time i start the car up runs great go down the road and than all the sudden it starts chugging rpms bouncing no throttle response until it just dies out try to start it and nothing happens it gets up to like 600rpms bounces than dies(with no throttle response), 4hrs later i start it up on the side of the road starts running good everything seems to be working drive it home from work maybe 8mile trip right when i get to my house utoh it starts chugging again and dies [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] so i dont quite know whats wrong with it, possible the fuel pump but im not positive what do you guys think?
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 04-11-2008, 04:48 PM

also to note my car never makes it up to normal operating temps its always below the midway point but above

Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Sounds like the coolant sensor. If the original one is still in there, that's probably the problem. The original probe from Saturn that goes inside the block is made of a resin that eventually fails, which causes the computer to do weird things after the engine warms up.
If you make the swap, check the connector also. If it's corroded, replace it with another from Saturn. You'll have to cut the old one off and splice in the new one.

Good luck.....

Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 PM

i put a new one in that i got from the local autozone were it took me 5min to get the guy to understand what i was looking for lol i went to put it in and notice the wires on the connector had been crimped it appears someone was messing with it at one point, i put dry gas in the car to see if it was maybe sh*tty gas i got im still not sure hopefully it doesnt die on my way to work tommrow luckly the sadurn is only my beater so i can always bust out my other car. most likely gonna sell the car though

Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM

put in the new coolant temp sensor and still having stalling issues i noticed though it only happens when it is warm out cause i drove it yesterday not 1 problem the day before it was like 80 out and the car couldnt make it around the block, i lose all throttle response on the car and it just bogs till it dies out! anyone got anymore ideas?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Yes the first thing you did wrong is buy the part from someone other then your SATURN dealer. Go buy the proper sensor and a new connector from your nearest SATURN dealer.

Buy both, replace both

Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 PM

so i replaced the ambient air temp sensor and its supposidly the same as the engine coolant temp sensor anyway i pulled the one from the airbox out and it was like a cheap plastic sensor stuck the new one in and still having problems. would a genuine saturn part really make a diffrence, i got the sensor from autozone for 10 bucks i honestly have no clue wtf it can be

Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM

What year is your SC2?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 PM

Got mine from Autozone. It was the updated metal probe, and works great...

Quick Reply: 1997 Saturn SC2 problems stalling help!