General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Please help diagnose 04 Saturn VUE

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Exclamation Please help diagnose 04 Saturn VUE

Bought our VUE brand new in 04. We have loved it, despite her quirks. Now the issues are becoming far more exaggerated and I wonder how much longer we will have her.

*Just* got the ignition replaced under recall last week (long story short, every time we've taken it in for that, we were blown off - GM customer service had to get involved) - key no longer falls out while engine is running, but...

The issue that caused that to be thrown to the front burner: engine refused to shut off when key was turned to OFF position. Service soon light came on - as well as all the other lights. This just happened again - we had to disconnect the battery.

Doors would randomly unlock while vehicle was in motion - and usually would switch back to lock.

Occasionally a rear door will not unlock or lock with keyless OR with pressing the auto lock - sometimes the back hatch would not open

We have taken it in several times since we got it due to the radio not working properly; i.e, not turning off, randomly turning on, display not working properly

We have also taken it in several times for bells going off, like parking brake was left on, but it was not engaged as car was in motion

Any ideas?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:18 AM

Not sure about all of the issues, but as for the doors randomly unlocking and locking back, this may be related to the BCM. Body control module. I'm not sure where yours is located, but on most cars I've fooled with, they've been under the passenger side kick panel. Sometimes moisture runs down on them and corrodes the connector. You can remove the connector and clean it with some CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner. If you don't have any, sometimes you can clean the connector by simply unplugging and plugging it back in several times. Good luck with it. Dealerships are a royal pain in the *** to deal with.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Not sure about all of the issues, but as for the doors randomly unlocking and locking back, this may be related to the BCM. Body control module. I'm not sure where yours is located, but on most cars I've fooled with, they've been under the passenger side kick panel. Sometimes moisture runs down on them and corrodes the connector. You can remove the connector and clean it with some CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner. If you don't have any, sometimes you can clean the connector by simply unplugging and plugging it back in several times. Good luck with it. Dealerships are a royal pain in the *** to deal with.
Thank you! I will have my hubby check this out. He'd read somewhere a while back that it could be the BCM, but we were left to believe that there was no checking it - It was either good or not. Meanwhile, the shop that we use close to home thinks they know what the issue might be with our ignition, so we are hoping for an easy and inexpensive fix! This has been a season of life hitting hard!

Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 AM

Well, I hope that helps some. For some reason both of our mods and gurus seem to be absent. I'm referring to derf and Andy. Either one of you guys around and want to weigh in on these problems for Misty?

Old 11-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Let's hope it's not a defective BCM. A new A/C Delco one can be purchased at O'Reilly Auto Parts for about $310. A remanufactured one is about $241. I'd suggest the new one if it comes to that. They're not that difficult to replace. And the dealer will probably beat your brains out both on price and labor. Your hubby should be able to do this. Just make sure he disconnects the battery ground cable first, okay?

Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

BCM BCM BCM BCM BCM

Pretty Textbook Saturn BCM going south.

Christmas Tree dash gives it away just in case all the other unrelated simultaneous malfunctioning malfunctions don't