General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Reading more than 2 digit codes from an OBD I Saturn

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default Reading more than 2 digit codes from an OBD I Saturn

Is this possible?
And if so, is the only tool that can do so a Tech II?

I popped an ABS light on my 95 SC2 that only moves when I drive it once a month to keep it alive. The ABS light illuminated right at startup along with the brake light.
I was too pissed to try to clear it which I don't think it would w the paperclip anyway since it's not an SES issue.
Aside from a code 83 or something, there don't seem to be any other ABS flags that the car would throw, since they don't exist.

Which got me to wondering -- is there an OBDI tool that can talk to the ABS controller and figure out which wheel sensor is affected? And if so, is it only a tech II?
The car is unregistered and uninsured so I need to take the tool to the car. Can I trace the wiring at all four wheels ---sure. Do I know for sure that a sensor or associated wiring is actually the problem? No. Could it just have muck on a sensor? Sure.

But it raised the more fundamental question above. Not that I would buy it, but I can't find a diag tool online even if I wanted to buy it.

All input welcome

Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

I scanned the 95 OBD1 Chevy shop truck with the Snap on Modus scanner we have. I am sure my Snap on red brick would have worked also. I had to use a different connector and follow the on screen instructions to get to the abs diagnostics. It was a data stream readout not flash codes. It told me I had an open lf wheel speed sensor. I unplugged and tested the sensor and yes it was open. The new sensor installed and the problem solved.

I suspect a failed sensor if you have a hard light. The system resets after each key cycle and rechecks. If the light goes out and comes back once you start moving it is a sensor. I would unplug and test both front sensors first. They should have between 10 and 100 ohms. Open is bad. I suspect front because they really flex the sensor cords when you turn the wheels. The rears just go up and down, no turning. I have found rear harnesses worn through and short to ground.

Random rambling now, hope this helps.
Andy

Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

So it indeed can be done with a compatible tool (Tech II, Snapon, etc) of proper vintage, connector, and firmware.
It is a hard light appeared right after the engine started (maybe even during cranking)--essentially when the abs system check failed.
I agree it is most likely to be a front sensor or wiring issue.
Have any wrenching friends in Wahington PA or Bellaire, Ohio?

Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I contacted the only mechanic I know in Ohio and he did not know anyone down your way. He suggested getting it scanned, imagine that! Let me know what you find. Did you mention rodents in a different post?

Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
I contacted the only mechanic I know in Ohio and he did not know anyone down your way. He suggested getting it scanned, imagine that! Let me know what you find. Did you mention rodents in a different post?
I think I mentioned it during my last off topic rant... rodents likely nesting near blower motor.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if the abs wiring runs near there.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure it does -- thr fr R right wheel wiring brob makes a b line to the pcm -- although -- it would actually go to the ABS control module which is ....?????

Hey it's been many years since I asked a question about an S car I didn't know the answer to ---which means no one ever asked it.
The 93-95 chilton is pretty much good up to 97/98 for vehicle wiring, and lays the 91-98 and 91-02 books to shame except for the updated PCM wiring which ya kinda need. and associated OBDII and air pump and BCM stuff that came
ABS was available in 95 so let's answer my own question
--------
Pg 9-90: Chilton Book #8419
The ECBM (Electronic Brake Control Module) is located under the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column. The module is outboard of the PCM, closest to the left kick panel
-------
The blower motor is all the way to the right under the passenger dash but I'm sure there's a harness back there he prob had to chew some out of the way to fit in through some hole. I guess I can check resistance at the control module to confirm F Right wiring /sensor is the issue.

We had Joy
we had fun
we had seasons in the sun

Old 12-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Wow! Terry Jacks.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Gotta keep you old timers comin' back.

I saw him play that song live in an interview about two years ago.
Just as sappy and unpleasant as it's been all these years.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Wasn't he a one hit wonder? AFAIK, that's all that he had that ever got any airplay.