General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

over heating help me please asap thanks

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Default over heating help me please asap thanks

got a 92 saturn sl over heating changed thermostat water pump and flushed radiator still over heats cant figure out help me please

Old 08-08-2010, 03:37 PM

While this request sounds silly, it is important.
Define overheating.
Does the water boil and run out the overflow tube.
Does the guage indicate that the engine is hot?
If the gauge indicates that the engine is hot, is it the only indication? That is the gauge says the engine is hot and the water is not boiling.
The fan is electric, is it or does it run? If you have a/c on your car, does turning on the A/C also turn on the fan?
If the engine gets hot enough some indicators on the dashboard display will also come on. So are there any unusual dash board indicators on.
Along with all of the above, when you start the car is there a particularly wierd sounding rattle that seems to be comming from the bottom of the car taking place too.
How did you flush the radiator, in the car or remove it and have it done some where else.
Here is one that happend to me. I bought a car that ran hot because;
the previous owner had a black hairy dog that slept in the garage and everytime the car was started it picked up dog hair on the radiator until the radiator was so plugged with black dog hair, that air would not pass through it.
So! Do you have a hairy dog (color not important) that sleeps in the garage.
Any or all of the above can be present at some time or another with a hot running engine, any or all may mean something slightly different if known.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:49 PM

it does not over flo it has no radiator cap only fill int resivoir cap is clean and tight fan works after all repairs took down road and guage went to the red only went couple miles flushed radiator with stuff from auto store no water leak any where cant figure it out

Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

so per your response you're referring to overheating only as based on the dash gauge, yes?

Replace ECTS and connector -- two wire device located in head on driver's side -- PCM uses the resistance of this device to infer the temp of coolant.

back in 92 there were two coolant temp sensors -- one for the PCM ECTS two wire device), one for the dash gauge (single wire device).

IF you've never changed the ECTS it is certainly in failure mode right now -- they all failed -- get brass replacement.

You need to change this first before messing with the dash gauge sensor because the info the PCM gets from the ECTS tells the PCM when to turn on the electric fan.

If the PCM doesn't think the coolant is hot enough, no fan......
________
Any bubbles in reservoir while running?
Any white smoke out the tailpipe?
Have you had the system pressure tested?

Last edited by derf; 08-08-2010 at 04:45 PM.