Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

car over heating new everything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:19 PM

hey guys im trying to fix my buddys car it is over heating but the hoses and the water pump the pump looks and souds good i put a steathasxope to it and it sounded fine are brand new. the fan is not turning on and it only over heats at stop lights. I do think that it could be the coolant sensor? just from reading on this forum. but i dont know . any help would be apreciated.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 AM

It could very well be the coolant sensor, just be sure its the two-wire one below the EGR valve and not the one-wire one that goes to the temp indicator on the dash. The original sensor is resin tipped and prone to crackingwhile the replacement is brass, use only the brass replacement. If the two-wire connector is corroded replace it too, either from a junk yard connector from the intake air temp sensor or dealer's ($30?). Keep in mind that there's a fan relay and the fan that may have burned out.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:19 PM

The dealership quoted me 45 for a new ECTS and 72 for a new connector...[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2007, 12:12 AM

There will be some that will pay dealer prices insisting on Saturn OEM parts while others will buy the same or equivalent either online or from the local auto supply house, the choice is up to the individual. The rare item that can't be purchased except exclusively from Saturn is the only exception other than used parts from the junk yard.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

I had the same problem with my sl2 new hoses and new radiator and the temp gauge seemed to never move. And always made sure it had coolant but it alway overheated and I changed the coolant temp sensor and its been great ever since and the fan comes on now see if that helps mine cost 20 dollars and took me 45 mins to do. My brother in law had 99 sl2 and rode in his and realized my problem when at a light his temp moved up and the fans came on. Check to see if that helps.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>
Edited by: saturnpower

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm sure the problem has been fixed by now. Or the car is in the junkyard. Having it overheat for a year wouldnt be very good for it.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>I think you were on to something when you said the Fan was not turning on. When you have the AC on the cooling fan should run, if it is not then you need to replace the motor. YOu can get these at the local parts shop for $60 bucks or so and its a fairly easy repair.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
I am also having an issue that the car is overheating while sitting at the Traffic Light. It is fine going down the road, but if stopped it does overheats. I don't think the radiator fan is comming on also. However the inside temp gauge does show the car is overheating. Also i am not sure where these sensor you guys are talking about are located. Any direction anyone can give is much appreciated.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Illybey
I am also having an issue that the car is overheating while sitting at the Traffic Light. It is fine going down the road, but if stopped it does overheats. I don't think the radiator fan is comming on also. However the inside temp gauge does show the car is overheating. Also i am not sure where these sensor you guys are talking about are located. Any direction anyone can give is much appreciated.
See you other post for suggestions.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 PM

on my 93 sl2 I had the same prob. turned out to be the fan beaings had gone bad and kept amping the 30 amp fuse out. It was an easy fix, new motor and 30 amp fuse... Troy

Quick Reply: car over heating new everything?