General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

no fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
newto the forum-need advise

OK long story,my son drives an 01 SL1 (hope that is the right model) I've never seen this car in person. Yesterday he ran out of fuel. Car was running fine-no issues. He gets fuel in the car, now it will not start! Hesays he can hear the fuel pump run with the key. The car will run on a short burst of starter fluid, which tells me there is nothing wrong ignition wise. Is there some way to prime the fuel system, or an easy way to bleed it or check for an air lock. Its really hard to diagnose it over the phone. Any help-welcome.

Thanks
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 04-09-2008, 10:48 AM

My guess is the fuel pump is gone. Even though you may hear it, it may not be totally funcioning. Its common that youll get a bad fuel pump when run out of gas cuz you just ran a pump dry which is bad.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm no mechanic or anything, but if he ran it completely empty it sounds like he could have gotten some dirt clogging the fuel filter? I just bought a fuel filter for an '01 SC2 and it is significantly less expensive and less difficult to change than the fuel pump (pump involves dropping the tank and draining the fuel)