General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

High blower problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 09:32 PM
Default High blower problem

Hi,
I have a 95 SC2. The high blower setting is drawing so much power that I get a hot electrical smell and the relay burns up. The fan sounds fine and works on a 4 lower speeds.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Craig

Old 01-26-2022, 11:22 PM

Kinda sounds like a ground issue

Old 01-26-2022, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by DropDead
Kinda sounds like a ground issue
Between the motor plug and ground wire mounting?

Old 01-27-2022, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

The high setting on most blower motors is the battery patched through the relay straight to the motor without going through the resistor pack.

I'm thinking if it is burning out the blower relay, the motor is pulling too much current. This can happen when there are obstructions and when you have a partially shorted coil on the motor. For the same voltage at lower resistance due to the coil short, you end up with a higher current. It's not high enough to burn the fuse but it is high enough to burn out the relay.

I would pull the motor and see if it spins freely by hand. If not, replace it. The bearings are shot.

Also check for melted insulation etc at the motor connector.
The obstructions not only slow down the motor, they also decrease the self cooling effect of the motor while in operation. I'm not sure where you are saying the burning smell is coming from. If it's through the vents, there is very likely molten evidence at the motor or nearby on the wiring.

Even if you replace the motor, I would probably check the other side of the fuse panel to ensure the heat of that increased current has not melted anything together that should not be connected. If it's high enough to burn out a relay, it's certainly high enough to cause local wiring and contact damage as those areas were not designed to handle that increased current for long periods of time.

Please let us know what you find.

Last edited by derf; 01-27-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by derf
The high setting on most blower motors is the battery patched through the relay straight to the motor without going through the resistor pack.

I'm thinking if it is burning out the blower relay, the motor is pulling too much current. This can happen when there are obstructions and when you have a partially shorted coil on the motor. For the same voltage at lower resistance due to the coil short, you end up with a higher current. It's not high enough to burn the fuse but it is high enough to burn out the relay.

I would pull the motor and see if it spins freely by hand. If not, replace it. The bearings are shot.

Also check for melted insulation etc at the motor connector.
The obstructions not only slow down the motor, they also decrease the self cooling effect of the motor while in operation. I'm not sure where you are saying the burning smell is coming from. If it's through the vents, there is very likely molten evidence at the motor or nearby on the wiring.

Even if you replace the motor, I would probably check the other side of the fuse panel to ensure the heat of that increased current has not melted anything together that should not be connected. If it's high enough to burn out a relay, it's certainly high enough to cause local wiring and contact damage as those areas were not designed to handle that increased current for long periods of time.

Please let us know what you find.
Thanks I will.