General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help me figure this out please....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Angry Help me figure this out please....

So I just bought a 2000 SL1 from a private seller. I did not have much cash to buy a car and owned a saturn once before and loved it so I was happy to find this one in my price range. I have a "used to be a mechanic" friend who checked the car out and said buy it. the service light was ON when I bought the car...he has a scanner and it said that it was an evap sys. code. The gas cap was a locking one and you could get it off without a key so I bought a new gas cap, knowing that it would not pass emissions with that cap.
Ok...so he cleared the codes, light off.......been driving the car for over a week, and driving it ALOT. I have been to emissions TWICE now and they will not even test me because they say it is not reading.....like i need to drive it more but how is that even possible? Any ideas as to what the problem could be? HELP! I have a 30 day tag now but need to figure this out by then!
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Yes ................ drive the car

Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

OBD-II Driving Cycle
If you have a 96 or newer vehicle you have the OBD-II diagnostic system. This system is constantly monitoring the sensors and solenoids on the engine. If you have replaced the battery, disconnected the battery or cleared the codes after making a repair you will need to do what is called a "Driving Cycle". This will perform a diagnostic on all the systems the computer monitors. This cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start
In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50ºC (122ºF) and within 6ºC (11ºF) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle
The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on maximum and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate
Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate
Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate
Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate
This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 AM

Thanks so much for your help! I also was linked to this posting on another Saturn forum which was very helpful if anybody else is experiencing the same issue!

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...ighlight=ready