General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Gear Problems (transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Default Gear Problems (transmission)

Im having a problem with my car. When i put it in drive, the car will run in 1st gear (30mph, 4k RPM.) It will not shift until i put the car down into 3rd. When i put the car down into 3rd, then back to drive it will drive normal, and great just like no problem at all. Until I Put the car into natural then back into drive. When i do that the problem starts all over. It wont shift into a higher gear in drive, until i shift to 3rd first, then back to drive.

How it all started: The car had a check engine light, so i went and got it tested and my local advanced auto parts. They said it was just an O2 Sensor. So i changed that out, ran it for about 40miles and no check engine light. About 3 hours later i went to get into the car and drive away well it wouldn't start. So i thought it was the Neutral safety switch, so i changed that out, it was not the problem so i put the stock one back in. Then i changed the starter out and BAM it ran fine. except the car now wont shift gears. Once i do the Drive, 3rd, Drive. Thing the car wont act up until I turn the car off, and back on again.

So knowing i was over my head i took it to my local transmission place, he said that the transmission was in great shape, and he believes its an electrical problem somewhere.

I was wondering if anyone might have some advise on what might the problem be.

I thank you in advance for anyone willing to take the time to read this, and i do apologize on how long this is i just wanted to get all the information in this that i could. Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM

Ok not that is matters. What year is the car? What model is the car? What transmission is in the car? You know, not that it matters.

and i do apologize on how long this is i just wanted to get all the information in this that i could. Thanks again.

Last edited by sw2cam; 07-31-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by sw2cam
Ok not that is matters. What year is the car? What model is the car? What transmission is in the car? You know, not that it matters.

and i do apologize on how long this is i just wanted to get all the information in this that i could. Thanks again.
sorry its a 2000 Saturn ls1, and its the stock transmission.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 PM

Look around the starter for any wires you may have knocked loose while changing the starter. Like sensor wires ground wires.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM

Guessing it's an automatic transmission.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Paul b
Look around the starter for any wires you may have knocked loose while changing the starter. Like sensor wires ground wires.
I checked once before, but i will check again, thank you for posting.

And yes its an auto transmission.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM

You might also look and make sure you didn't pinch a wire between the starter and the block when you bolted the starter.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM

It may be important to know if the computer is throwing any codes. If you can get some one to read it anyway. The Saturn, like most cars built from about 1990 on up is heavy into electronics and electronics diagnostics.
I would say it is indeed an electric problem but as it is a front drive car and it is over 10 years old it does not take much of an impact on a connector or a wiring harness to screw up something electrical.
I blew a fuse on my Hornet the other day, a much simpler car and very much simpler in it electronics. Unfortunately it took me 4 days to trace down that along with blowing a fuse I burned a wire out in 4 locations. I found the first one and thought I was done. Wrong. While your care is much more complex, it is also prone to a multitude of problems with the wiring and a code as sampled by the computer might very well lead to finding out want is going on.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Banned

A quick check of the underhood junction block fuses that have TRS on them might be of help here

Old 08-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Unc and Ocean speak the truth.