General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Engine work without an engine stand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default Engine work without an engine stand?

See title.

I figured after I pull the 95 vibrating engine, I might as well pull off the timing cover and see if the crank and cams are out of time. Doing so requires removal of two of the oil pan bolts but I don't see that as a big deal to do before pulling the engine.

My question is should I even attempt to do such things without the engine on a stand? I know I could fabricate something out of wood to keep the engine upright and keep it from sliding, and I know not to rest it on the oil pan when I do put it down on the ground.

Also, the transmission will be connected when I pull it and I do not have a reason to separate on both of them. What do I use to hold the combination of the two stable? I don't mind spending a little bit for a stand. Are there different types? If I can get the 95 engine to a properly timed state, I have a full clutch kit that I purchased years ago in the back of my garage and would likely put it on that engine since I have nowhere else for to go. Or keep storing it so that my 95 with the 97 engine in it will be guaranteed life to 350,000 MI with respect to clutch.

Please advise.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:35 AM

Just get some 4x4's or 8x8's and fabricate a type of rectangle to set the combo in, derf. I'm not sure how deep the oil pan is, so that's why I even suggest some 8x8's. You don't have to be fancy, you just want to keep it off the floor and stable. And there will NEVER be a better time to install the new clutch kit than when you have them out of the car. Go ahead and do it while it's easy access. You'd have to separate the engine and trans in order to use an engine stand, anyway. I wouldn't bother buying one if I were in your shoes.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:05 PM

Ive done several timing jobs with the engine in the car. Block of would and Jack is your best friend

Old 08-12-2021, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

On an S car?

I'll have to look around and see if there are folks that have done S car timing sets in the vehicle. There is very little clearance. I'm sure I'd have to take some stuff off which is not a big deal, but if you bend those timing covers you are s o l as they will never seal right again... Which is why no one can find one in a junkyard.

Thank you for the advice.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

I wrote last night but forgot to post. I often dress and undress engines hanging on the cherry picker. I can sit in a chair and work on engines without removing the transmission. When you are done with the engine stuff set them on the ground and slide the transmission off. Lift it back up and replace the clutch then let it down and reinstall the trans. Make it easy on yourself, the only time an engine goes on a stand is for internal repairs like head gaskets or bottom end repairs..

Old 08-12-2021, 09:09 PM

Nah. S cars arent worth a dime to me.
but I have worked on them. I don't see why you couldn't do it in the car.
Plus if you need a timing cover lemme know. I can get some

Old 08-13-2021, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Damn you're a man of many resources.
Everything I've read said it is in fact possible but is a brutally tight fit

Thank you
My S cars have been with me since the end of grad school and the beginning of my marriage. They are sort of like children. They have experienced many things of paramount significance during this period of my life. I'm cannibalizing one to save the other and although you can't really do that with your children legally, I'm sure you folks understand.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:23 PM

I'm sure you remember my 03 was my first car. It's still tucked away. In 1000000 pieces, but tucked away.

I can source a lot. I'm known as "the saturn man" at a few junk yards for some odd reason. I haven't even been messing with them the last like year.

Anyway. Shoot me a message if you need something sourced. That goes for anyone reading this.