General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

engine codes for 93 sl2 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:13 PM

i recently had my check engine light scanned by a garage and they gave me these codes.... 26, 27, 32, 11, 53. does anyone know what exactly these engine dtc's stand for, obviously the number doesnt explain to me what the problem is. thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

11 Transaxle codes present

26 quad driver output fault
27 quick quad driver output fault
32 EGR system fault
53 ESC knock present

more on troubleshooting tomorrow

Derf

Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

troubleshoot code 26 first -- the quad driver output fault code is set when the status of any of the circuits which share this portion of the PCM's monitoring ability decide to malfunction. There is a bunch of stuff hanging off this circuit that can set the code.

My guess is that your EGR solenoid (one of the bunch of stuff) is not functioning properly. The EGR valve relies on this to actuate it (open/close). This would explain the EGR fault code 32 as well.. However, sometimes it is the EGR valve itself that is sticking such that the solenoid cannot actuate it....

SInce it is a 93, I'll assume it's the original EGR or that you haven't had it cleaned/replaced recently. Given the amount of oil you probably burn, I'd say you're mighty overdue. Consider servicing or replacing the EGR when you have the EGR solenoid checked.

The code 53 is an electrionic spark circuit (ESC) knock code. This code sets if the PCM detects a knock in the engine and cannot get rid of it by altering the spark timing. Since the PCM can't fix the knock via the spark timing, it usually means that the ESC is not the issue.

A malfunctioning EGR system often leads to a crappily, running often stalling, rpm gyrating Saturn. Don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that the code 53 may be a side effect of the EGR issues. Don't know.

The code 11 on the SES means that error codes for the auto transaxle are present. Code 11 is displayed at the end fo the rest of the codes (via SES flashing). After code 11 flashes on the SES, the "Shift to D2" light begins flashing the transaxle codes. I think the shop didn't realize this and therefore didn't capture the transaxle codes for you.

I would deal with the (presumed) EGR issues first and see what remains after that.

Derf

Old 09-25-2006, 10:15 PM

Z4me92,

Derf`s assesment is top notch.If he was a doctor or lawyer he would be making alot of money. If he is a good mechanic he could also do well. Hats off derf. The knock thing doesn`t sound encouraging but first things first. I went through alot of these codes myself on a sedan that ended up being a cut wire in the connector above the reclaim canister behind the right front headlight. wire mended and five trouble codes gone.

Darryl T