General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Dropping Engine Cradle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 PM

I guess I am not following this too well. It starts out with money is no object and plans to pull the drive train out to make a new cradle to put a non-Saturn engine in. FWD cars are incredibly mechanically complex as it is an engine/transmission/drive axle combination that requires complete re-engineering to make if fit and work and you worried about leaks you don't know where they are coming from and you are at a transmission shop?
For what, what ever you are driving is toast, repairing it will take a small fortune and as it is a 97 SC1 it probably has a cash value of what say? $500.00. It is long past a throwaway car. So where is the point to all this.?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM

I work at a GM dealership, not a tranny shop. I didn't know where the leaks were coming from because i hadn't yet put my car up on the rack. Come to find out, my front main had completely blown out. Before you try to be a smart ***, know what you are talking about. Repairing it is not so easy due to a small market and discontinued trans. Mixed with no pull yard having one here. Yes, they are cheap cars. But why do something everyone else does? 240sx, corolla, civics, bmw, they are all cliche. As far as re-engineering, I know what it takes. I don't have to be told as if I am ignorant.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:18 AM

My question is still Valid.
You asked for help and then went on a long ramble about leaks and things. If you do not want to be talked to as if you have no clue what you are doing, make it a point to sound like you have a clue.
Frankly I doubt completely that you have the slightest clue what you are talking about. You want to deal with a cradle? There are about 6 bolts and the whole thing, engine and all falls on the floor and time to start re-engineering and along with that getting the electronics to mate between the body and the drive train.
Frankly I think if you go back through previous postings you will find one about some one who created a tube frame and put a small block chevy package together with rear wheel drive, eliminated the electronics and the interface required.
So as far as I am concerned, don't bother wasting my time pretending you have enough smarts to come in out of the rain. You already are doing what everyone else has a tendency to do . Talking through your hat.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 AM

I didn't ask for help I asked for opinions. I know exactly what it takes, once again. I have a built, custom frame Chevy in a buddy's yard. Show potential, no bolt on, self routed set-up. I understand that wiring gauges, lights, and accessories will be something to tackle. That I will be using the hell out of a programmer. (Turboing and stand alone fuel management is sensitive you know.) That there will be no easy way to go about this. That there will be ******** who assume that I have no clue what I'm talking about, then type up a little research they have done on the internet, unlike me rather than what is from experience. Then, don't take in to account, it has all been thought of. Congratulations, you're wrong. Go please yourself with a retractable stun baton.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Well
u'v got mine
and u just confirmed it.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:39 PM

The valve body is your arm on a manual. That is showing your ignorance.

The seal will have a number stamped on it, and I'm sure a local parts house can cross reference it to a reputable manufacture. If your GM parts guy is worth anything, he can get you a new one.

Last edited by Dtruck1; 04-18-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 AM

As stated before, I do not know much about transmissions yet, haven't worked on them, although I can rebuild engines in record times. There is no need to refer to me, or rube as well, as being ignorant. My parts guy can find the seal, anything really, no problem. He has worked there over 15 years, I'm sure he knows what he is doing. Some of you act as if you reflect your horrible, low lives into your opinions on these forums. Just chill the fug out man. Damn. Just because you come on here thinking you know it all, doesn't mean you do. If you have truly ever worked on cars, you would know, you will NEVER know it all.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

i'm all for ending this particular pissing match. If he needs to learn trannys, he will or this project won't happen.

Let the Wizz do the car and the car do the talking.
Pretty simple, no?

Wizz, please check in w updates.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 AM

Some of us are just cantankerous old farts here, Jason. We get pissy from time to time because of aches and pains. You have to learn not to take things here personally, because there are actually several members here that have a good deal of knowledge about these cars. I'm not one of them, but have been working on various cars that I've owned and friends have owned for over 40 years. That doesn't make me a mechanic, however, just a shade tree. I also have never really been into transmissions, as I've never had the tools nor a proper area to work on them. I did rebuild a 727 torqueflite out of a 66 Dodge Coronet that I had back when I was 17 and that damn thing never was quite right. I was winging it and didn't have a repair manual. I thought "how difficult can it be?", and found out! Like derf said, just check in with us from time to time with updates. I'm one who'd like to know how things are going, okay? I don't take offense at what some folks say, I just have to consider the source, if you know what I mean! LOL

Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 AM

I ask a civil question and get a toilet tongue answer. I peg the source as an ignorant little Sh*t and I see nothing to change my mind about it.

Quick Reply: Dropping Engine Cradle?