General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

CV joint ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Question CV joint ??

My wife's Vue has started a constant "squeak". It's in the LEFT FRONT wheel. The squeak increases in tempo going from a standing start, to normal driving. Braking does NOT make it go away. I think it's a CV joint. None of the local parts stores show a Left Front CV joint, they show the RIGHT FRONT only.......... Why ?? Is it OEM ??? Can just the CV joint be replaced, or does the whole axle have to be done as 1 part ??? Is it hard to replace ??? "Shade tree" work or send it to my mechanic and save myself a bunch of aggrivation ??? Any insight ???? 2004' Saturn Vue /w V-6, auto trans. Thank you.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

Alstar80j ...

First off, when CV joints go bad, they usually make a "clicking" or "ratcheting" noise, but only when the vehicle is making a hard turn either to the right or the left. When driving in a straight line, they normally do not make a noise. Slide under the car, and check the CV boots for damage, splitting, or other unnatural wear. You did mention that "braking has no effect on the sound". That would seem to rule out the noisemakers in the brake pads which indicate time for brake service.

Since you say this is a "constant squeak" which varies with the speed of the vehicle, I would be more inclined to suspect the wheel bearing(s) on the outer end of that shaft. This repair is something I would not recommend unless you are a "very accomplished" shade tree mechanic who is thoroughly familiar with his vehicle. I had the dealership do this on my wife's car a couple of years ago, to the tune of about $340 - given the costs of inflation, price may be about $550 today, just guessing though.

Since your wife's car is a 2004, is it possible it is still under warranty? Might cut your costs dramatically.