General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Brake Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Default Brake Lights Not Working

2000 LSeries 2.2L V4. Tail light brake lights/upper brake light are not working. Checked each bulb and the elements are good (no breaks). Did have a few of the upper brake light bulbs out (noticed that a few days ago). Tail lights do work and the turn signals work as well - just no brake lights. If any of the bulbs in the upper brake light on the window fail, would that cause any type of electrical connection issue with no brake lights at all????

Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Look in the engine compartmet fuse box for the BRAKE fuse (15amp). Replace it, an you should be good to go ..............

Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Look in the engine compartmet fuse box for the BRAKE fuse (15amp). Replace it, an you should be good to go ..............
Hey OceanArcher.... I should have mentioned that as well. I did pull the BRAKE fuse and it looked ok. I did try one of the SPARE 15amp fuses from the compartment fuse box and the lights still did not work.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Hmmmmmmmmmm -- OK

From the fuse, the signal runs on an ORG wire to the stop lamp switch, and then on LT BLU wire to the left instrument panel fuse box inside the car. From the fuse box, it now becomes three separate LT BLU wires, and goes out to each of the brake light fixtures at the rear of the car.

Use a voltmeter, and check for +12vdc on the ORG wire at the stop switch. Assuming the +12 vdc is present, jumper the switch to see if the brake lights come on. If they do, replace the brake light switch. If not, use the voltmeter to trace the LT BLU wire from the switch to the left instrument panel fuse box, and then out to the brake lights .....

Good Luck

Old 03-25-2021, 10:40 PM
Default Jumper switch what do you mean

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Hmmmmmmmmmm -- OK

From the fuse, the signal runs on an ORG wire to the stop lamp switch, and then on LT BLU wire to the left instrument panel fuse box inside the car. From the fuse box, it now becomes three separate LT BLU wires, and goes out to each of the brake light fixtures at the rear of the car.

Use a voltmeter, and check for +12vdc on the ORG wire at the stop switch. Assuming the +12 vdc is present, jumper the switch to see if the brake lights come on. If they do, replace the brake light switch. If not, use the voltmeter to trace the LT BLU wire from the switch to the left instrument panel fuse box, and then out to the brake lights .....

Good Luck

I just took a picture

Last edited by Michele Doyle-blair; 03-25-2021 at 10:41 PM. Reason: I know what I was suppose to o
Old 03-25-2021, 10:43 PM

What o you mean by jumper the switch win finding the problem with my 2003 Saturn l200 center brake light

Old 03-26-2021, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Jumpering a switch means to temporarily add an electrical connection that lets electrical current flow directly from the input terminal to the output terminal as if the switch was not there.

Under normal conditions, the switch has to be closed for the current to get from the input to the output. However, if the switch is defective, that will not happen even if the switch seems to be in the closed position. This is a common troubleshooting approach as it allows you to determine if the switch itself is functioning properly.

And your picture is entirely a black box.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:48 AM

And you guys are on a post that's dang near 11 years old!

Old 03-26-2021, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

It was a simple question with a simple answer. If he doesn't come back and say thank you then I'll close the post down