General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

annoying coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Banned
Default annoying coolant leak

I have a 98 sl1 sohc. I have a coolant leak that is driving me crazy. I think it's coming from the intake manifold at the coolant passage. I have replaced the intake gasket twice. First I used a victor reinz and then a felpro. Still having the problem. Not sure what to do next. Has anybody had this same problem. Please let me know what you did to fix this.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Is there a written procedure you are following?

98 is prior to the plastic intake manifolds so well known plastic intake manifold is not in play here nor is the repair kit for it.

Are you getting the mating surfaces absolutely clean before replacing gasket?
You must be very careful to get the gasket lined up perfectly or it will leak
Are you following bolt order when tightening and torque specs?

Have you checked to make sure the manifold itself is not cracked in that region?
Or if there is a slight uneveness at the point of leakage?

Use the felpro gasket going forward.

Aside: these intake manifolds on the SOHC were notorious for incurring damage near the #1 cylinder and creating leaks, misfires, high idle. Did the original I/M gasket show signs of distortion near #1 cyl?

The above barrage of questions may sound as though I am interrogating you in a mean spirited way. Nothing further from the truth. Just in a hurry and not taking the time to word it all pretty -- so please do not take offense.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
Is there a written procedure you are following?

98 is prior to the plastic intake manifolds so well known plastic intake manifold is not in play here nor is the repair kit for it.

Are you getting the mating surfaces absolutely clean before replacing gasket?
You must be very careful to get the gasket lined up perfectly or it will leak
Are you following bolt order when tightening and torque specs?

Have you checked to make sure the manifold itself is not cracked in that region?
Or if there is a slight uneveness at the point of leakage?

Use the felpro gasket going forward.

Aside: these intake manifolds on the SOHC were notorious for incurring damage near the #1 cylinder and creating leaks, misfires, high idle. Did the original I/M gasket show signs of distortion near #1 cyl?

The above barrage of questions may sound as though I am interrogating you in a mean spirited way. Nothing further from the truth. Just in a hurry and not taking the time to word it all pretty -- so please do not take offense.
No offense taken. I appreciate the response.
I've done pretty much everything you described. Surfaces clean, gasket slides over studs. No lining up the gasket. Torqued from center out in 4 steps. I used a felpro gasket. I guess I need to take it off again and check for cracks.
What damage are you talking about at cyl 1? Thanks again for your reply.