General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

97 Saturn engine tries to lock when start

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:53 PM

97 Saturn I purchased about 3 years ago. No problems until this past winter. First: turn over 2-4 times then try to lock up. Mess with it over about 20 mins. woulf finally start. Have replaced: fuel pump, 3 sensors, starter, alternator, converter, computer, (also been reprogramed by Saturn. Now it it sits more than 24 hours, is cold day, or damp, it either won't start, or will start in 20 to 30 minutes. Saturn says everything is in great shape. They had car for over 2 weeks and it failed once for them for 1 min. They say until it fails repeatedly, they can't fix. Any help would be appreciated. I've almost replaced the whole car, and would like to drive it for awhile. Thanks

Old 06-11-2006, 02:52 PM

What do you mean by "trys to lock up"?

Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 AM

Engine Will turn over two -three times and it just stops. Almost like a car that has jumped time, except Saturn says that's not happening. After it does this many times, then it just turns and turns and then finally starts.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:14 AM

Next time it does that...........Jump out and feel if the battery cables are hot. If so, find out why. Is the positive cable corroded under the rubber covering? It the eyelet on the cable where it bolts to the starter bad?Edited by: sw2cam

Old 06-14-2006, 11:16 PM

Battery is one yr. old this month. I bought the 84 month free replacement ($$) best on market. First time it happened all cables, posts, battery and any wires around were checked. NOTHING was wrong everything checks outs okay.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:23 AM

Well something is out of sorts. Batteries are known to go bad. Battery connections are known to go bad. If your old battery was leaking it could have gotten into the cable and is now corroding from the inside out. The starter could be just starting to go bad. The ground cable could be loose. Battery connections could be loose. Just trying to help.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 AM

I know and I appreciate it. Saturn had it for two weeks. As I said I replaced just about everything except the actual motor!!!! It's been doing this for awhile. A mechanic locally took it and kept it for over 24 hours, said he checked everything in the car and could not find anything wrong. Yet, a week ago last tuesday, it wouldn't start. It took 20 mins. and finally it caught. That was the first time I ever felt that it was flooded. I used proper procedure to start. Since then it's started fine. No cold weather tho. It did start in the rain the other day. This local mechanic told me to call him when it wouldn't start and he would drop everything and see if he couldn't find out what it is. I really do thank you.