Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

96sl2 door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 PM

hellow, my wife drives a great little 93 sl2 with no probs. but I recently bought a 96 with a broke motor I bought a used motor and put it in and it runs great. I''m trying to work the bugs out the theis one is the door locks. it seems that I have to open them all manually and if I try and lock them with the door button I can hear a click under the dash and nothing happens. I would appreciate any help....tks Troy

Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Hi Troy -

The first thing I would do, is to check the 20Amp LOCKS fuse located on the Instrument Panel Junction Block (I/PJB). It supplies the current to operate the door lock/unlock motors, and is switched by the LOCK and UNLOCK relays.

The relays are controlled two ways: 1) By the manual LOCK/UNLOCK push switches, which receive power from the 10Amp BODY fuseon the I/PJB, and 2) By the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Module, which gets its power from the 10Amp CHIME fuse on the I/PJB.

So, as you see, the LOCK and UNLOCK relaysprovide power to the door lock motors regardless of manual or automatic operation.After verifying that the three fuses I mentioned above are all good, try to lock and unlock the doors with the manual switches. Check both switches, as one of them could be defective.

Next, go to the I/PJB, and swap the LOCK and UNLOCK relays. Now, try the manual switches again. If the results change, one of the relays is defective, and needs to be replaced (about $6usd at Auto Zone). If the conditions did not change, I would suspect the manual door lock switch is bad.

Once you get the lock/unlock functions working manually, then the automatic operation should be good too, unless the RKE is defective. I do not know if you can get a replacement RKE at the local parts house, or if it is a Saturn only device.

Have fun ...

Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM

tks its great to have your input. I''m going to print this out and go give it some attention. tks again.....Troy