General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

92 SC 2-door.. sudden electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 PM

I am gonna start this off first by stating I am not the most automotive savy person.

When I went to start my vehicle this morning to goto work, the electrical system "died". The power came on as I was turning the key through the ON position. But as soon as I turned it to START, all the power suddenly cut out. I tried to start it a few more times, but couldnt get it to do anything, not even click. There is no power to the radio, lights, heater/vent fan. I checked the battery cables and such while waiting for a ride to work, and they looked ok. When I get home tonight I will try and take a more thorough look.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what I may need to look at or what it may be?

The non-automotive savvy person in me, just tells me to try and jump the battery and/or replace it. I just dont want to do the wrong thing and make things worse.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 PM

ok... went to unhook the battery (positive first.. i know bad) and as I was unscrewing the positive battery terminal it started clicking and sparked once when i had it completely removed... so i figured the battery was good still.... according to manufacter date on battery it is new...

anyway hooked battery back up, positive was clicking and sparking again.. once i had it hooked up again, i had power, lights worked...

when i went to start it, it started right up but died about 3 seconds after... when i tried to restart it, the power cut out again.... i am gonna try and replace the positive cable...

my question now is... the cable splits into 2 ends from the battery terminal... one goes right to the fuse box... the other looks like it goes back underneath the engine somewhere.... can anyone tell me where it goes, and is there an easy way to access where it goes?

Thanks

Edited by: sirfodder

Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Other end of this + lead goes to the starter--not terribly easy to access. Alternator + lead connects to battery + lead at the connection to the starter.

Since you said the manufacture date on the battery is new, I'll assume it is not the original that came with the car -- it is a replacement. That being said, the sparking and clicking should not be occuring if you have a sound (proper) electrical connection between the battery post and the cable.

Sounds like the cable to the + lead of the battery is loose at the battery.

With car off and keys out, remove the - cable from the battery. Now remove + lead and inspect the connector on the end of the + lead and the + terminal of the battery itself. Any corrosion on either needs to be cleaned with a battery terminal cleaner to ensure good connection. Reassemble ( +, then - leads) and try again.

Keep us posted

Derf