General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2005 ION 1 Odd directional issues and radio ignition signal dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Question 2005 ION 1 Odd directional issues and radio ignition signal dead

Hello forum, new here

I have a used 2005 ION 1 (5spd manual) , had it for maybe 5 months now and am enjoying it.

Problem 1: The car came with an after market radio that wouldn't turn off with the car, I took it off and it was wired with the 12v line and 12v ignition line spilced and found out it was done that way because the 12v ignition/radio-on wire was dead regardless of the car running or not. I checked fuses and every thing seems fine there so I assume it to be the ignition switch its self, correct me if I'm wrong.

Problem 2: After deciding to clean up for the day and putting every thing back together I started the car to roll it forward so my relatives had a place to park and noticed that when I put the e-brake down and the headlights off, both turn signals come on and are steady, not flashing at all. but the directional still work with each respective side flashing with the other one steady. When I have the headlights / parking lamps on they behave normally. I read the manual and I know that the DTR lamps are a thing but these are super bright and I I've never noticed them before.

Anyway thanks for any info.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

I bet they’re related, I used an aftermarket wiring kit in an Oldsmobile and it had the factory radio dimmer light wire connected to a power wire. The car had all kinds of lighting gremlins until I found it. I would go back in and disconnect the radio harness and see how your lights work. I had to provide a separate power wire on because GM has some weird connections on the mid 2000s radios.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Check the bulbs and make sure they're the correct number that's supposed to be in the socket. I purchased a Nissan pickup truck many years ago that had a similar problem. Turned out to be that when someone added a trailer wiring kit to it, they put the wrong bulbs in the sockets. I put the correct number bulb in and that took care of my electrical issues with that truck.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
I bet they’re related, I used an aftermarket wiring kit in an Oldsmobile and it had the factory radio dimmer light wire connected to a power wire. The car had all kinds of lighting gremlins until I found it. I would go back in and disconnect the radio harness and see how your lights work. I had to provide a separate power wire on because GM has some weird connections on the mid 2000s radios.
I just tried that this morning. and the lights hadn't changed.

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Check the bulbs and make sure they're the correct number that's supposed to be in the socket. I purchased a Nissan pickup truck many years ago that had a similar problem. Turned out to be that when someone added a trailer wiring kit to it, they put the wrong bulbs in the sockets. I put the correct number bulb in and that took care of my electrical issues with that truck.
I'll check the lights to see if they're the right ones this after noon during break.

Any thoughts on the radio on wire?

Old 08-05-2019, 05:05 PM

I'm not familiar with the Vue or how the radios are set up. I do know that the S series car have a fusebox on the passenger side of the console that has a dedicated radio fuse. I don't see why the Vue wouldn't be similar. I'd just run a dedicated power wire to that fuse in the fuse box and forget about it. Would a shorted turn signal relay cause what's up with them? I don't even know if the Vue has a separate relay for them, just guessing and asking.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 08-05-2019 at 05:07 PM.