General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2002 Saturn Vue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 PM

<DIV>My wife's Vue won't start........The battery has juice, power works..</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Tried jumping it ....didn't work...THe car registers that it has fuel....Even with the battery pack on it it sounds the same and won't start.

Called the dealership...they said "well you tried all the normal things now to tow it over here so we can look at it."

Edit..... It turns over but doesn't fire.... Anyone know where the spark plugs are on this thing?? Battery is defintly good..</DIV>

Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 PM

The last edit to the post stating that the engine turns over but doesn't fire up makes all the difference in the world as far as troubleshooting goes. To reiterate, if the starter can crank all day till the battery dies without the engine ever running its most likely the crank position sensor, located approximately above and behind the starter with one 10mm bolt. No cps operation= no fuel pump, ignition or injector pulses.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM

So have it towed in..............I can't fix for you from here.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:03 PM

I believe the body control module is defective. This computer part controls security, door locks, and dome light. I replaced my battery in February after my 2002 Vue v6 with 50,000 miles would not start. I check gas for proper amount and mechanic check all the fuses. I recommend that youtow vehicle to dealership to fix because local mechanics will be useless. Cost of the repair will be $600 plus they will replace your key *****.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ducky
The last edit to the post stating that the engine turns over but doesn't fire up makes all the difference in the world as far as troubleshooting goes. To reiterate, if the starter can crank all day till the battery dies without the engine ever running its most likely the crank position sensor, located approximately above and behind the starter with one 10mm bolt. No cps operation= no fuel pump, ignition or injector pulses.

Also i've tried checking all the fuses and nothing looks blown (as far as just looking at them). Did try spraying starter fluid down the intake manifold and that didn't work either.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:10 AM

No crank position sensor = no fuel pump running,no ignition, and no injector pulses. The fuel pump will only cycle on for a few seconds in the ON/RUN position then shut off but will come back on if the cps is operating while the engine is turning; the engine rotation allows the cps to output data enablingthe pump, ignition circuits and injectors to operate. The starter spray with no engine running can be a fuel or ignition problem but guess what they have in common? The crank position sensor.

All you've done was to verify the lack of ignition spark for the plugs. Have you tried to locate the cps, priced the part, given any consideration to this as a very strong possibility? You can spend some money and time to replace this or spend much more time towing, diagnostics fees, parts replacement, and labor to havea dealer service your car, its all up to you.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ducky

No crank position sensor = no fuel pump running,no ignition, and no injector pulses. The fuel pump will only cycle on for a few seconds in the ON/RUN position then shut off but will come back on if the cps is operating while the engine is turning; the engine rotation allows the cps to output data enablingthe pump, ignition circuits and injectors to operate. The starter spray with no engine running can be a fuel or ignition problem but guess what they have in common? The crank position sensor.

All you've done was to verify the lack of ignition spark for the plugs. Have you tried to locate the cps, priced the part, given any consideration to this as a very strong possibility? You can spend some money and time to replace this or spend much more time towing, diagnostics fees, parts replacement, and labor to havea dealer service your car, its all up to you.

Do you know where I can find a diagram of everthing ? Online?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:07 PM

Unfortunately no, that's where manuals come in although somehwere down the road there will be more information available online as well as diagrams. Because you didn't state whether yours is a 4-cyl. or 6-cyl. there are two places for the cps. The 4-cyl. will be behind and above the starter and mounted with one 10mm bolt. The 6-cyl. will be next to the oil filter housing and mounted with one 10mm bolt.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM

ducky, I removed CPS from my 6 cyl. 2002 Vue to see if I could see anything obviously wrong with it (I'm having the same unable to fire engine symptoms as above; thought maybe removing it would expose loose wire or something) or at least I think it's the correct one (smaller bolt than 10mm though); there is another similar contraption close by the oil filter that did have 10mm bolt. Anyway, the one I removed had fine metal shavings on the end of it. Is this normal wear from the engine or do I have a more serious problem? Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM

soons, go to http://rockauto.comand look up your parts list for the cps and you'll see an excellent picture of it. The cps is just one solid state device that's sealed from the hot engine and oil. Its sole purpose is to detect 'teeth' on the crankshaft for developing a digital signal for the ECM to know where timing information will be used to run the engine. The only way to find out if this cps failed is to measure it with a multimeter for resistance. The resistance will read between 800-1200 ohms. It can also be an intermittent faulty cps that will measure fine one moment and then not measure at all if rapped onto a hard table. This would indicate an intermittent problem as the engine dying suddenly and either successfully re-starting or having to wait for the engine to cool down before re-starting again. Not a good place to be whether it happens at home or going someplace and being stranded sudenly.

Quick Reply: 2002 Saturn Vue