General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2000 SL2 Fuel Cell

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Passlock: System must detect proper R-code within ignition lock (or ignition switch) in order to start engine. Does NOT have chip in key but I suspect it needs the correct key to turn the cylinder to rotate the cyl to confirm stored lock cyl.code matches that sent to it by bcm. I'm surprised you can get it started at all w out a key with the security system enabled.

At this point I think you may wish to explore permanently disabling =workaround since I don't know for sure that you can reset the system w out a key. Suppose you could get one cut from the vin and a replacement Saturn cylinder but for your use that's a waste of money.

There are many products out there claiming to permanently disable passlock. I have no idea if they work. A simple wire around will not work as the bcm will not get a response from the lock cyl w the right code and will inhibit starting.

If you do implement a work around for the passlock system, we'd be greatful if you could come back and update this thread. I'll leave your acct active

Old 01-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

any further luck?

Try this search and wade through the schematics if you haven't already

gm passlock bypass diagram - Bing images

The system in yours is a Passlock II. Saturns never received Passlock I.

Note that the "resistor bypass" is a temp fix and you will require further work down the road so I would just opt for a system like NewRockies that bypasses the entire system so that when another portion of the system fails, you are not affected by it. The BCM, PCM, and Ignition switch all must play "pass the password" for the system to work, so swapping out the cyl removes one of those components, and loses the ability to have all three play their part.

Last edited by derf; 02-05-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

sh -- any progress?
I'm truly interested to know how you solved this....
And I'm sure many who are having security system issues would love to know the path you took to resolution

Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 AM

The green and black wires tell the car the key is in the ignition. From there I just used the ATS security bypass method. Fired right up

Attached Thumbnails 2000 SL2 Fuel Cell-image.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 AM

Preciate the help!!!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent! Glad to hear you found a workaround.

Which Anti Theft System bypass method did you use?
Just a web link would be great. ( don't expect you to write a novel)

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2016, 12:11 AM

I posted the link earlier in the posts. It's similiar to what you recommended. Ignition on, ignition off, wait 30 minutes, repeat 3 times....

Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, now I understand.

Since you are not using a key, you just tied the green n black together to simulate the presence of the key in the ignition, then did the relearn procedure.

So you didn't install a security bypass system, you just simulated the key and reset the system.

As long as the cyl is not damaged and the passwords continue to fly back and forth between the pcm bcm and ign cyl, you're simply doing a key simulation.

My only guess as to how it started at all prior to the key workaround is that the system was fubarred enough to not have any real clue what the deal was.

Can ya post some pix of the race car, maybe some on the track passing a lame ricer or two?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 PM

Yeah check it out

Old 02-06-2016, 09:08 PM

Another

Quick Reply: 2000 SL2 Fuel Cell