General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1996 SW2 Coolant in oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Post 1996 SW2 Coolant in oil

I had my oil analyzed and they found coolant in the oil. There are no outside leaks. Coolant level is down just a hair. I was informed by the oil analyzers that it probably is a gasket leak. However, a mechanic looked the car up for "trouble notices" and found that the engine is prone to cracking after 100,000 miles. My SW2 has 134,000 miles. Has anyone had this problem and if I were to have a new gasket what would be the approximate cost?

Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 PM

I think I would be inclined to ask for a second opinion. I have no idea why you requested the oil to be analyzed so that is part of the equation. If you had a reason, what would it be? Constant usage of water is certainly a reason but your statemen that the coolant is down just a hair does not imply constant usage of water or coolant. I personally find water down just a hair routinely on my cars over a period of time, like months, not days.
And if there is a blown head gasket, generally that is accompanied by some other symptom that is also somewhat drastic and observable.
Mostly I would be concerned if the oil was milky in color, a symptom of water in the oil. But as I said, when that takes place? Usually there is another related problem.
As to the cost of paying some one to replace the head gasket if needed. A 1996 Saturn probably is worth less than it would cost to have one replaced. The labor would be killer. You need to ask a mechanic of choice what they would charge you. As to the engine prone to cracking after 100,000 miles. I can't buy into that one either. Never heard of it, my own experiance can not confirm it and if some one told it to me I would not believe it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe head gasket just starting to fail, maybe crack in head betw cooling and oil passage. Oil milkshake or coolant milkshake is usually sign of head gasket issue, accompanied by billowing white smoke.

I think the mechanic may have been referring to the cylinder heads cracking not the engine blocks -- if I remember correctly some of the mid 90-'s heads are known to develop cracks

search the web for saturn cracked cylinder head or something -- I know it's been covered

Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
I think I would be inclined to ask for a second opinion. I have no idea why you requested the oil to be analyzed so that is part of the equation. If you had a reason, what would it be? Constant usage of water is certainly a reason but your statemen that the coolant is down just a hair does not imply constant usage of water or coolant. I personally find water down just a hair routinely on my cars over a period of time, like months, not days.
And if there is a blown head gasket, generally that is accompanied by some other symptom that is also somewhat drastic and observable.
Mostly I would be concerned if the oil was milky in color, a symptom of water in the oil. But as I said, when that takes place? Usually there is another related problem.
As to the cost of paying some one to replace the head gasket if needed. A 1996 Saturn probably is worth less than it would cost to have one replaced. The labor would be killer. You need to ask a mechanic of choice what they would charge you. As to the engine prone to cracking after 100,000 miles. I can't buy into that one either. Never heard of it, my own experiance can not confirm it and if some one told it to me I would not believe it.
The oil is not milky. The paper referred to is put out by Saturn on the possibility of engine block cracks. They increased their warranty to 100K miles due to this. I do however believe a gasket leak is more likely. The car is great and I hate to dump it so I just put some bars leak in it and will use it as long as possible. The bars leak should allow further use at least for a while. I have owned the car since new and it starts and runs silent. I have been an Amsoil user and dealer for over 15 years and would recommemd their oil over any other on the market today. Thanks for your input. vicart

Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

As a second car the usage is only 4-5K miles a year so Bars Leak shoud work for awhile. We'll see. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Keep an eye on your temp gauge. The Bars Leak has been know to clog radiators and heater cores. I wouldn't put that crap in anything I have. But, to each his own.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Keep an eye on your temp gauge. The Bars Leak has been know to clog radiators and heater cores. I wouldn't put that crap in anything I have. But, to each his own.
I have to second that. I always have trouble clogging up everything else with it. There might be something better out there. Maybe Justice Brothers has something.

I would also second the idea of not putting much money into it.

Oh by the way: Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM

Actually over the years? I have used BarsLeak when the situation actually called for it. Motor fixit in a bottle rarely does much in the way of fixing things for the most part but the odd time it actually functionally buys time. But just about any time I have had to Barsleak, something drastic was taking place on something that was pretty much a beater and on it's last legs as it were.
It lasted long enough to get me by to a better resolution.
I just find it hard to believe that something needs Barleak and you have no other reportable symptom other than having oil analyzed. If that is the only symptom you can determine I still am under the opinion that a second opinion is in order.
I have used Dupont and Lucas transmission additives either as maintainence items or a couple of times to resolve minor leaks due high mileage or age. I used a dupont motor oil additive for the same reason. A front seal was leaking like mad on an engine, a quart of oil every tank of gas. I got it up to a quart of oil every two tanks of gas which was some help, but obviously the situation was hopeless and I have used Lucas products for Power Steering noises and leaking.
Am I a big fan of them? No, but I am not afraid to give them a try.
I have even had minor success using Z-Max as an additve when an S car Saturn begins to consum oil. People who have taken them apart seem to say the oil control rings carbons up badly. Personally I think that is due to a steady diet of a 5WXX oil more than anything else, but Z-Max seemed to have stopped the consumption problem and it just might IF you can catch it early enough. Dunno, no promises but it worked once and if I needed to try it again I would. If it did not work, I would not be surprised.