General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1996 SL2 wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Default 1996 SL2 wont start.

My recently bought SL2 wont start today. Lights come on, radio, fan - etc.

Wont' crank, nothing. It's a manual transmission.

Is it the starter? I get no clicking, no crank, nada.

Last edited by sidvail; 10-28-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Could be alot of things. Could be the neutral (clutch) safety switch. Look it up check it out. Very easy to bypass to see if it's the problem.

Last edited by sw2cam; 10-28-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM

SW2 - thank you.
I've been reading all morning. Have not seen anything on the clutch safety switch yet - but will do a google search now. Seems the starter was working so well previously, so don't think that is the problem. (guess it could still fail, tho) If I bypass the clutch switch, I assume that is the problem and I'll have to replace that part?

Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM

Yep if you jump the switch and the car starts you need a new switch. Be carefull...once jumped it will start without pressing the clutch and in any gear.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM

Think I found the switch (under the clutch pedal - black box with square button) disconnected it and jumpered it - still no start. No change in dash lights, etc.

Will continue to research and try things. Any direction will help.

So far: Key turns. Accessory position, everything works, no dash lights. Run position, everything works, all warning lights on. Start position: all warning lights on, buzz heard - no clicks, no cranking.

Sounds like the starter huh? This is kinda fun, a little frustrating, but definitely educational. I'd really like to do this myself, but will take it to a shop if gets TOO complicated.

Just watched a video of replacing the starter - doesn't look too difficult, so will try that if it turns out to be the starter.

Thanks so far and appreciate the help.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Check battery cables, make sure they are clean and TIGHT.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Just checked the battery and cables. All is fine there. And I just had the battery and alternator tested at O'Reilly's the day after I bought it (6 days ago). They both tested fine.

Something new I noticed while I was trying to start it. When I turn the key to start, the warning lights are all on and the buzzing occurs - but if I hold it at start, after a couple of seconds, it clicks once and the buzzing stops. All warning lights are still on, headlights are strong and don't dim, radio works, etc. Not sure if that means anything.

Last edited by sidvail; 10-28-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Sounds to me like your starter bendix is stuck in your flywheel. Try putting it in gear and rocking the car back and forth some. Then try to start it. If that doesn't work, see if you can whack the starter with a hammer once or twice and try it. If it cranks then, you know what you have to do.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Thanks - will try that now. Think I should push start it and see if that solves the problem? Haven't done that yet as afraid I won't get back in the driveway (uphill).

Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Working now. Mechanic did the bang on the starter trick and it started. Now it starts normally. I guess I should replace the starter anyway? Just to be safe?.

Thank you guys for all your input - I know how difficult it is to troubleshoot something without being there. I do appreciate your patience with a newb.

Quick Reply: 1996 SL2 wont start.