General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1991 SC with low miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Default 1991 SC with low miles

I am having a difficult time finding a whole lot of information regarding the 1991 Saturn SC, during my search I found this forum. We are considering taking ownership of my mother's Saturn SC that has largely sat idle in her garage. She is the original owner, and never used this car as her primary vehicle, so the miles are low. It is in good condition, but has not been driven in over a year. I can only find this car for sale in pieces! Is it collectible? Is it scrap? Is it worth considering as a first car for a new driver? We obviously would expect to put some money into the car over the years (and immediately for a tune-up), but would just like to know that given the age of the car and the lack of Saturn support, that the car would be serviceable. Very cute car, would be kind of fun if it ended up staying in the family as the grandchildren near driving age. I appreciate any advice or input from knowledgeable Saturn fanatics.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 PM

They are a sound car that was designed well and are now fun to own. A lot is going to depend on if you pay some one to repair your cars you are a back yard mechanic. If you are a back yard mechanic, buy a Chiltons or Mitchels repair manual and quit overthinking things.
For example. Differing opinions but if you are old enough to have done a tune up, since computor control has come along, they tune themselves.
They need sparkplugs when they wear out, air filters when they get dirty and sparkplug wires when they get rotten.
The oil needs to be changed every now and then and repairs need to be made when they break. At some point, if you have to pay for the repairs, it is cheaper to buy a newer car.
Do I think they are a good first car, not for a kid who is going to beat it to death through ignorance and lack of care.
It is too old and a bit fussy to live well with that.
As to mine, I love it, it now has bout 110,000 miles on it, has been a daily driver for 16 years, easy to work on and so far parts have been easy enough to get for it.
Is it collectable, not really, only if you care enough to collect it. Is it scrap? A couple hundred dollars a ton. Would it be great for a grandchild. If they are responcible enough to take care of it and learn how a bit. Such as check the oil and quit driving it if something goes wrong and ask for help when needed.
I know a number of them that have been good first cars. I have known kids dumb enough to tear up new cars and parents stupid enough to buy them another.
I spent time and money refurbishing mine a couple of years back because I like it and have no problems jumping in it and driving anywhere.
I'm not going to do it again, the next time I wear it out, I am going to buy a newer car.
I agree, it is a cute car and fun to keep it in the family.
But next week I am getting a free Camero because some one made the wrong decision on keeping it for the wrong reasons.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks Uncljohn for your thorough and thoughtful response, I really do appreciate the time you took to respond. If the Saturn SC comes to live with us, it will be driven by a very responsible young lady I assure you. Unfortunately no chance we will be able to work on the car ourselves, but we do have a buddy that can help with some stuff, and a good mechanic as well. Thanks again, and have fun with your new Camero!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM

The young lady accross the street is still driving the sedan, a newer model that her parents bought her when she graduated from highschool and went to college. Newer in years, still similar to your 91 and my 94. She is going on for a phd. She would like a newer car now that she is almost a cash earning young adult but got it repainted in stead. Her parents own a late model Saturn sedan. Both are happy with the decision. Why did they buy one? Back aways when the kids were younger and my coupe was an extra I would loan it to them to drive when they needed something.
I guess it is too bad that GM forgot they were in the automobile business and decided the way to profitability was to close companys and drop product lines.
If you have it figured that the car will not be beat to death I think it will last a long time and satisfy the situation.
Getting parts from the "Dealer" will only last so long and is probably about dead right now. The dealers are gone and GM is supporting it only as long as it makes sense that some one 'might' trade it in on a new Chevy.
I was at the Chevy Dealer yesterday wondering where my bolts I ordered to assemble my Chevy engine with were, think about that one for a second. A chevy V8? They have not been significantly changed since 1955 when they first came out and are the corporate GM V8 used in every car they still make including off shore cars such as Opal and they have to order Bolts for the thing? How long do you think you can get Saturn parts? The company is out of business?
The sales manager told me I should trade my perfectly good coupe that looks pretty good yet "because it is no longer being made"
What is it worth cash value? Not enough to sell it straight out and buy tires for my new Chrysler.
Hopefully after Saturns become throwaway used cars people will enjoy collecting them enough to figure out what is available aftermarket and maybe even approach making hard to find replacement parts that are unique and others will pay enough to purchase them to restore their S seriec cars. I do not see the others being much of a collector car.
In the mean time I am going to finish my Chevy V8 engine, turn it into a Corvette motor, sell my Free Camero to some one who wants one and it is desirable for sure, use the money to buy or purchase a 700R4 automatic transmission to bolt on to my engine and install it all into another orphan, a 1976 AMC Hornet Station Wagon that I have enough parts restore it with and then?
Go Corvette and Porshe hunting!