General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

05 vue with 2.2 & 4t45e

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 01:21 PM

by clean i mean there wasnt an inch of clutch coating like thick pudding, the magnet was fuzzy... i dont believe anyone has been in it because of the condition of the pan and gasket... it just wasnt horrible as ive seen. oh yea, i checked oil light today, it is red when just key, but after start its white or a faint orange but not bright red as when just key... i havent had time to change oil switch yet, pain in ***, i might have to take starter out to reach it, know a trick????

Last edited by confuzzled; 02-28-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM

can someone please tell me what all will fit in this? the one junk yard is saying 05 vue only.... i tried to tell him i had odd ball, very few 05s had this tranny with the 2.2... like would a 06 vue work?

Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Wink GM 4T45E 2.2L Interchange

Hey Confuzzled

According to my Transtec ID guide, (which goes to 2009') shows no other Saturns used this trans with the 2.2L engine. The Vue used it behind the 2.2 from 2005-2008. But the Vue also used it with the 2.4L engine. Make sure the one you get is behind the 2.2L and not the 2.4L, there will be shifting and logic issues if put behind the wrong engine due to differences in the valve bodies. Pontiac used it behind a 2.2L and 2.4L in the G5 from 07-08. Chevy used it in the Cobalt 2.2L and 2.4L from 05-08. HHR used it behind the 2.2L and 2.4L from 06-08. Malibu and Malibu Max, 2.2L and 3.5L from 04-08. And that my Brother is it. Happy Hunting!

Vue 2.2L. 05-08
Pont G5 07-08
Cobalt 05-08
HHR 06-08
Malibu 04-07
Mal. Max 04-08

Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 PM

does anyone know of any reason this tranny wouldnt shift into 3rd or 4th because i changed engine... took engine out of 06 colbolt??? i hate to replace if its something dumb... i found a brand new tranny...only has 10 miles on it, not rebuilt for 500 free delivery... but still want to make sure its not something that replacing engine did.

CHECK THIS OUT: when i was changing oil pressure switch i found two black and white wires that looked like it was broke off somewhere... it was two ground wires attached below battery box in front on a big bolt... any idea what they are? i reattached and relearned pc (key on for 10 minutes) now shes idling beautifully. havent test drove it yet to see if it will shift. going to do that tom. before i pay for the new tranny. i cant believe i found a brand new tranny oem with 10 miles on it. apparently this yard in ohio gets cars that have been wrecked on rail cars to sell parts from. anyways its brand new tranny with only 10 miles on it. also just fyi, u have to have a special oil pressure socket to get the damn thing off. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...+switch+socket ... pain in ***, i first bought a 27mm, wouldn't work!

Last edited by confuzzled; 03-03-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:29 PM

does anyone know what tool i need to know whether the computer is talking to transmission or not? i have a code reader, blue tooth with torque but its just basic scan tool. any recommendations? i really would hate to replace tranny if it just needs a new pc...

...i can get a new pc from same tranny for 50 bucks, would that be the better route? also is that the only pc on that car? it looks like the ecm and tcm are one in the same.... there are two plugs on it, i think j and j1. i seen some that has a separate tcm, under dash. if i did get the new pcm too would i have to get it flashed if it came from same motor and trans?

Last edited by confuzzled; 03-05-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Ok,

I'm gonna say a few things that need to be said.
Don't shoot the messenger.

1) P0700
If you get a P0700, it means the TCM is telling the PCM "Hey there's a problem with the tranny". And if you're lucky, the TCM self diagnoses the tranny issue and provides you with the corresponding P Codes (like P0757)

P0700 by itself demonstrates that the TCM is communicating with the PCM.
No need to question it. Non-issue

2)P0757
The reason it won't shift into 3rd n 4th is spelled out in the information that relates to the P0757 code. It's been posted. A professional transmission expert has outlined for you the possible causes.

P0757 only sets under VERY SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES. Those have been posted.

You continue to doubt both the car's self diagnosis, the explanation of the code on paper, and a tranny professional's input, and now whether the TCM and PCM are communicating. You pulled 2 tranny related codes. You KNOW it's working.

You may not want to admit to yourself that the information is true. I don't blame you. But reality needs to set in so you can deal with the issue rationally.

3) OEM tranny w 10 orig miles on it for $500
I call BS.
Anything that seems to be too good to be true ISN'T.
Did they pull this tranny 12 yrs ago, hide it, and now suddenly it just happens to be available at a steal of a price.
What an INCREDIBLE coincidence!

Why would someone put 10 mi on an OEM tranny, then disconnect it from the engine and put it on a shelf? For over a decade? At the factory, maybe a break in/test? possibly. Didn't get that 10 mi on it on the rail car....and how would they know how many miles were on it?
Don't think so.
They can't prove it's not rebuilt.

You are getting taken if you fall for this.

4) Knee jerk tranny purchase?
Fight the impulse.
----------
5) Get professional advice in addition to Alpha's. Take the car to a trusted transmission mechanic and ask HIM what he finds (no telling him ahead of time). He will also be able to read any codes stored in the TCM itself that may shed light on the situation.

Does it cost money for a tow and a tranny diag? Yes.

If you can afford a $500 tranny, you can afford a tow and a diag.

If he tells you you need a rebuild, ask him to explain SPECIFICALLY what parts of your transmission are potentially not operating correctly. If he is the service advisor, ask to speak directly the tech who diag'd your car. If he gets all general on you, ask him CALMLY CALMLY CALMLY

a)which shift solenoids might be bad
b)which bands and clutches may be involved in producing the out of spec gear ratios that triggered your P0757.
c) Now he knows you know pretty much what is in play and should shift into serious mode as you are asking him straight up tech questions and will either clam up because he doesn't know or he will politely explain as best he can.

Don't expect him to know off the top of his head necessarily. He probably sees 25 different trannys a week with slightly different designs. Give him a chance. This exercise both teaches you the details AND sees if he is lying or didn't really check. Not 100% foolproof but if you posture up to techs in a polite way that you have a decent clue, they will either share the details or clam up b c you caught them with their pants down.

Alpha can pretty much narrow it down without ever seeing the car b c he has probably worked on 500 4T45e transmissions in his line of work and unconsciously has committed it to memory. It is a very rare skill to be able to do that and that is why I contacted him on your behalf to assist in the diag of your car.

-----------------

My purpose in writing this was NOT to put you down, shame you, make you look stupid (you most certainly are not) or be holier than thou. My purpose in writing this was to help you come to terms with the very likely reality that your tranny has internal damage.

No one wants to admit that the problem is something they can't touch and more importantly can't put their hands on and fix. You are a hands on guy so it frustrates you to hell. I get it.

But your diag thought processes are getting off of the rational path, and I am trying to help you back to the path you need to be on to
A) solve this
B) not get jacked in the process
C) solve this

Derf

Last edited by derf; 03-05-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:58 PM

05 vue with 2.2 & 4t45e-s-l1600.jpg
the trans does only have 10 miles on it... it is insurance related that the factory writes off for taxes but it has to sit, red tape and what not.... i talked in length to the guy on the phone. the car i am getting it from still has the protective coating on all the lights. they have fields of them... im very fortunate to find them... and yea, the trans shops around here want 2000 to rebuild the trans... so no im no dumb ***. i am comfortable in rebuilding the valve body, but not in anything past that. i will be buying the new trans... easy math $500 vs 2000. as far as me doubting anyone... not by a long shot, i just collect as much info as possible to make better decisions and appreciate all the input. and i really dont think... that thinking this could be a computer problem being a electronic transmission is getting off "the rational path" just really dont like wasting hard earned money. i would really hate to put a new tranny in and have same problem. you know?

there was also this... when we got new engine in... it was turning over but wouldn't start, so i got looking, my friend that was helping didn't have the two plugs j1 and j2 locked in, they was on but not locked. as soon as i locked them in it started right up, so i was worried a part might of shorted out.

so anyways i think ill just buy the trans and the pc. way cheaper than just a rebuild. with this transmission and the engine i have in it now, it should be on the road another 100,000 miles with proper maintenance. this is my first saturn so its been fun learning. its just a shame for gm to do this crap to customers. they got it right with the plastic panels and have the technology to give us a powertrain that will last. the cvt transmissions are just a joke and thankfully i didnt get one of them unknowingly. BUT... i guess there is no money in the cure...

i would really like to get my hands on a program i can put on my laptop and hook to car through usb, i would really like everyone's input on this... biggest bang for buck. i know there are programs out there but not sure of what, yet.

i will also be turning everyone on to this place i found after i have had a good experience with them so hopefully everyone can benefit.

Last edited by confuzzled; 03-06-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:53 PM

hey guys, wanted to check in with everyone. transmission was brand new, its in and drives like a dream... thank god. i was going to name her Christine... the name of place i got trans from is Stricker Auto Parts Batavia, OH (513) 732-1152 they did me right... 499.00 with shipping included. so sweet. anyway, just checking in and thank you for all your help. i will be pulling solenoids and testing then go to valve body and beyond if need be to find the problem on old trans... ill post and let you know what i find.

Last edited by confuzzled; 03-21-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update glad you have a usable car now!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

glad you have slain this month's beast
And thank you for adding another reputable vendor to the forum's list

Quick Reply: 05 vue with 2.2 & 4t45e