Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

Weird Trans Prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 PM

</>

Posted here over a year ago, but forgot my username and reregistered. To summarize my issue...

I have a 1999 4 cylinder Saturn SL2, automatic.

I get little to no REVERSE, and "slips" right between 1st to 2nd, and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, unless I let up on the gas a bit just as I hear/feel it about to shift.

When I posted here previously, it was mainly about the "no reverse" issue, and was given a variety of information, one item which, was to do something (I forget what) but then to put my car inreverse for like 1/2 hour, up against blocks or a wall or something. (Did that). Also drove my car in reverse in a parking lot for about a half hour in circles.

No luck.

Here's the weird part about the problem. It got a LITTLE better. If the car is COLD (meaning hasn't been driven in the last half hour or longer) - I get what I'm approximating to be about 1/4 of the hp/torque I should be getting, and the car moves slowly in reverse. In order to get ANY kind of power/speed, I have to really give it gas, close to the 5k RPM mark on my guage.

Once the car has warmed up (driven about a bit), I get almost NO reverse at all.

I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has had similar problems. Because of the "got some reverse, then none", I thought perhaps there might be a problem with the transmission control module (I know that's not the right name, but forgot at the moment of typing this), and I bought another working one on Ebay, but I hear I'm going to have a lot of fun getting the swap done.

Any helpful ideas on this?

Thanks! Edited by: brewcity scribe

Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
no reverse and no second sounds like the input shaft nut has come loose. but when you describe it gets worst when the tranny heats up sounds like an electrical problem in the valve body/bus plate/connector. most likely not the tcm.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-05-2008, 06:28 PM

Agreed most likely the input shaft nut. valve body is usually a deplay then bang onto reverse but not much slip between 1-2 shift. Little between 2-3 from leak in the sealing area from the loose nut. The fluid travels through the case then end cover into the input shaft the sealing area is between the first gear clutch hub and the seals on the end cover when the nut loosens the hub can shift in out and **** a little and the fluid leaks. when the trans is warm the seals are softer and allow more leakage.Ok I'm rambling. Check the input shaft nut