Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

odd starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:55 AM

I have a 97sc1 that has a starting problem. Maybe 10% of the time when you first turn it over, the car won't start right away. It will turn over but won't catch for maybe 5 or 10 seconds. If you let off the key and hit the starter again it picks right up and fires up. I had the codes read and got po 341 cmp circuit out of range and po507 idle control system rpm too high. It doesn't do it every time so it makes it hard to fix but if maybe someone else has had the same problem.....? It isn't easy like plugs or filte, that has all been done. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:31 AM

I own a 97 Sc2 and I had that prob a long time ago. I had the ignition switches cleaned and replaced. That did help also just let the car sit when you turn the jey for about 5 to 8 seconds and you will hear the fuel pump start and then turn the the key and it should not have any more problems.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed --

97's have an issue with maintaining fuel pressure at the fuel rail during prologned periods of non-use (overnight). When you first turn the key on a cold start, turn to "on" but do not crank, wait the 5 seconds or so until you hear the fuel pump relay click out (finished priming the system) - -then crank the engine -- should start right up.

Have a 97 SC2 myself --- above works like a charm, and reduces wear on your starter.

Derf

Old 04-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Derf, you're wrong. Idle air control valve... go get it. It's on the TB, it's the one closest to the intake manifold.

Disconnect the negative battery cable first, then unbolt it. It takes a torx bit, I can't remember the size off-hand. Once you remove it, spray some throttlebody cleaner in there... not too much of it... then install the new one, start it up, and take the intake pipes off, and spray the cleaner in the TB, moving the throttle the whole time. Do that until the can is empty, and have a nice day.Edited by: project92SC2

Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Wow,
So I've been wrong since last July?
Dang!! Imagine that!

That's funny. Ever consider that maybe both approaches might work even better together</span>?

Your additional IAC cleaning may also help some in the future--even me.

Thanks for adding it to the forum (where it was already described in other threads)

It's not about who's right and who's wrong -- it's about helping people.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 PM

95% percent of the time it's the fuel pump. but could be vacuum leak. check intake gasket on cylinder one. visually check to see if its folding, spray some carb cleaner or brake cleaner see if RPM changes.