Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

Engine Timing Tool Set V6 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Default Engine Timing Tool Set V6 3.0L

In the middle of a 100K service on a L300 V6. I replaced the timing belt yesterday, so I thought to give a quick review of the timing tool kit I used.

I used the "GM & SAAB Engine Timing Tool Set V6 3.0L and 3.2L" from EWK Tools. There are a few varieties of this set, including OTC 6687 (about $117 on Amazon) and Baum Tools B4145 (about $89 on Amazon). The EWK set is about $90 on Amazon, but since I bought it, of course, I have found it on EBay for a little less.

The tool worked like a charm; however, at first (and since I had never worked on a Saturn before much less a V6 version) I thought one of the cam locks was out of spec or something as it would not insert between the sprockets. Only the instruction sheet provided by Baum touched on this; unfortunately, you can no longer download this sheet from Baum. Nevertheless, the only relevant part says, "[i]nserting the tools between the camshaft sprockets may be helped by using AS4558 Adjuster {that is the 30mm hex} and slightly turning the upper and lower belt guides." From that point on, I had no problems with the tool kit.

The crankshaft lock looks like a torture device, but works elegantly simply. Every piece of the set is solidly made and of good quality. All pieces except the belt wedge are metal. Even the case is heavy duty. So, once you have this set, it'll last you forever, which is about the length of time you want to pass before you do another timing belt service. The tools will look forward to it a lot more than you will, that is for sure.

The tool set was shipped very promptly. It is very solid, but mine came with no instructions, which you can find in abundance in repair manuals, and even the timing belt kit came with an instruction sheet.

So, if you need a timing tool kit, the EWK or the Baum set will serve you well, and they are about the same price, too. They also appear (since I only have the EWK set) in the product pictures like the same original manufacturer made them.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for that post, it is extremely helpful. I bought my car this spring with 150k miles. I figured it has had one change already but I have not looked. I really want to find a 4/5 in an L series and swap it into my car.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 PM
Default Thanks, a few good special tools go a long way if you know to get them in advance

I'm glad you found the post helpful. I had never worked on a Saturn before this one. I actually only sat in one as a passenger fifteen years ago. So, that pretty much sums up my Saturn experience. Even the Saabs I had worked on before predated the engine design in the Saturns. Thus, I ran around in a few circles with special tools, so what I had thought would be a three-day process has dragged on for a month (not actually working on it every day of course, but having spent most time waiting for this or that special tool to be shipped).

Also, before you start the timing belt or water pump operation (the latter not being driven by the timing belt, so that is a great design!!!), be ready that the power steering pulley might not just come right off after you take out the three bolts. After some attempts, I found the low-profile pulley puller that worked like a charm (OTC4544), I posted a review on it at https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/en...-puller-10215/. You might want to read that first. It'll save you a lot of time.