Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here...

Help with 2002 LW200

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM

Hello everyone! I am hoping that I can get a little guidance here!
I have a 2002 LW200, and had to replace the battery, and the radio was locked out of course.. I took it to the dealer, and they were unable to unlock it, and said the facory code doesn''t work, and to fix it they would have to send it back, and that would be expensive, so I thoguth that I would just replace the deck with an after market one, but the shop said that the re wiring alone would be 250 bucks or so as it is a custom job, and I would lose the sub as well. (no big deal there.) I am surprised that there is no wiring harness that is standard.. does anyone know the truth? and also the unlock code? am I screwed? spending 450$ for a cheap deck is not a good deal..

Old 09-15-2008, 11:58 AM

this seams like these people are trying to screw you. Unless those cars come with some crazy setup i have never heard of needing to pay 250 just for the install and wiring. That seems rediculous. But if i remember correctly the GM radio codes are sometimes nto pre-programed and are done by the original owner. So that may be why the VIN # is not getting the right code. Also you really need a serial # to even accurately tell the code. Here use this site and for $20 you can get your code

http://www.radio-code.com/GM-Pay-Page-radio-code.htm

Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM

I also found this

1.) To begin, if your radio is displays LOC, then proceed to step 2. If your radio says INOP, then turn your ignition to the RUN position, and turn the radio ON. You must leave it like this for a minimum of 1 hour (not 59 minutes) to clear the INOP message. I would wait 1 1/2 hours just in case doing it too early causes the timer to start over.

2.) Turn your ignition to RUN (if not already), and your radio to OFF. Press and hold preset buttons 2 and 3 for around 5-10 seconds to obtain a scrambled version of your radio''s original factory set code.

3.) Call 800-537-5140 and ignore whatever you are promted to do (something about different dealer brands Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn,etc.), and type the number 202108 into your phone and then press the # button.

4.) Input your radio''s 4 digit code into your phone when prompted, then press the * button (NOT pound symbol like above step) and be ready with a pen and paper to write down the unscrambled code. Keep this code somewhere you WILL NOT lose it. I wrote mine in the notes section of the owners manual.

5.) Once you have the code written down, press and hold 5 and 6 on your radio''s preset buttons for 5-10 seconds.

6.) Then press the seek down button once to start the entry process.

7.) Using the following key, repeatedly press the buttons to set your code:
seek down = first digit
seek up = second digit
tune down = third digit
tune up = fourth digit

NOTE: I just checked a picture of the stereo out and discovered the buttons have arrows facing left and right and not up and down. For the purposes of this process, left represents down, and right represents up.

8.) Once you have the code entered, press AM/FM to set it.

Presto, you have kept your local dealer from screwing you out of $30-100 dollars.

Note that the code given in step 3 belongs to a Pontiac dealer out there somewhere (judging by the number 2 at the beginning of the code if you listen to the voice prompts on the 800 number), so if they go out of business or wise up to their code being used, this method may eventually not work. However, the post I dug it up from is over a year old, so there is hope that it will last a while.

If you are not comfortable with the above process, I believe Saturn of Tempe (Arizona) will help you reset your radio over the phone for free; not sure though, I wanted to know how to do it myself, since service departments aren''t always open especially on nights and weekends. I wouldn''t go in person (since you will be easier to charge standing there with your wallet/purse- just call, and be very very VERY nice so that the tech doesn''t feel like screwing you into paying.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info.. I have done the code thing already, and the code that GM gave me and the dealer doesn''t work, so I think that I am screwed there. I will shop around and see if I can find a installer that is a little less prone to inflating costs...

I think that the dealer might have tried a code, and got it wrong three times.. so further locking out the radio? it was an expensive battery change!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 AM

haha yea damn battery changes.

Well if the thing is locked out from excessive attempts you need to leave it on for like an our and then it will allow you to re-enter numbers. It sounds to me like the dealer only used the VIN# and not the actual serial number on the device

Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 PM

I talked to one dealer on the phone and they talked me through the whole get the code from the radio, and call Saturn deal.. and called me back with the 4 digit code, I never had to give the VIN. I think one of the guys said that if you try three times then there is no option to unlock it anymore? Oh well, I think something that I can plug my MP3 Player into is the way to go...

Old 09-16-2008, 01:47 PM

yea just find a unit that comes with an external auxilary port is the way to go. I use it for my ipod and it works great