Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Electrical - I'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Default Electrical - I'm an idiot

My wife has a 98 SCII and the heater fan stopped working this morning. We where both late to work and to make a long story short I tried to jump the fan to the 20amp cig lighter fuse location.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot and I understand all the reasons that I shouldn't have done this but as you can guess I've messed stuff up pretty bad and am hoping someone can help me out here.

The fan and switch I can fix later. When I tried to jump the fan I touched off the wire real quick (car was running) to where the fuse goes and instantly the car started chugging. Sounds like it's running on two cylinders and you can put the throttle to the floor and nothing changes. So anyone know what I fried? My friend has a scan tool if that will help.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

what else does not work on the car (power locks, etc)? start by pulling fuses to check them (in underhood JB and IP junction block) -- with car off and key out. You may have inadvertently touched another fuse terminal on the way to the lighter

Also, please post codes if there are any....

Also, check the blower motor relay in the IP junction block -- at least then you might have some heat while fixing it.....

Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM

I would go by what codes you have as well but another quick check is if you really feel your missing 2 cylinders (which i doubt its two) Start with spark plugs and just remove them one at a time. If the skip doesn't get any worse its obviously not that cylinder. Further more if you do find a cylinder that doesn't change... do the same with the injectors. I've had high electrical loads in the system and screwed injectors up. Also theres the chance that even though the injectors do turn out that you have one or more no plusing i'd hit them with an ohm meter. Bring back your results if you get this far. The only reason I say that is because there is a driver in the ECM for the injectors that could have been messed up. I wouldn't relate it back to fuel because its running, there for the pump is running. Obviously pumps get wick but highly unlikely you hurt it enough to make it skip but not enough to keep it from running. Hitting the rest of the fuses with your test light surely wouldn't hurt either.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Also, please post codes if there are any....
Must have messed something up. The can will not start now that it has been sitting. Hooked up a scan tool and it will not recognize that it's plugged into the car.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 AM

You may have messed up the alternator. Newer cars are extremely voltage sensitive. Low voltage conditions are usually accompanied with random dash warning lights, and engine malfunctions like the one you described. Jump start the car and check the voltage.

Last edited by hoseppi; 01-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.