Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Driver seat help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:38 PM

I like craftsman.
And Ions are weird. Metric and Standard. It drives me insane.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Ginny -- when I said socket mounted bits, I meant torx bits which have been permanently implanted into the head end of a socket and stick out. These are known as internal torx drivers as the torx shape is on the "inside" of the fastener. I assume they are press fit in and they are ratchet driven like any other normal socket.

A set of INTERNAL torx sockets looks like this:

They also make one piece solid internal sockets.

Thank you Rube for jumping in to make the distinction between internal and external Torx sockets.

An external Torx socket has the Torx pattern on the inside of the socket in place of a normal hexagonal or 12 point shape. They look like this:

Per Rube, you need the external Torx socket(s) for the seat removal process. Sorry if I confused the issue.

My recommendation for the acquisition of the internal drivers and internal socket bits still stands, though

Old 02-01-2015, 12:27 PM

Thanks Derf, I'll have to go snooping. I asked him about the Torx bits, I know he has a few sets for a nut driver, but don't recall seeing any of the socketed variety. Internal and External - huh - I guess there are tools we don't have LOL

I think you're right about using what was left in the GM warehouse. I'm sure, especially when GM was having $$$ issues and the Saturn brand was to be eliminated, they used everything up that they could to get it gone/save said cash. Such a shame they couldn't keep producing what Saturn was known for: cheap, reliable transportation that got awesome gas mileage.