Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

99 Saturn SL 2 ignition key

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Default 99 Saturn SL 2 ignition key

I have a 99 Saturn SL2, the ignition cylinder has been hard to get the key in for some time, I loaded it with graphite and it seemed to take care of the hard to get in part, however recently the car seems to think the key is in the ignition all the time (dinging). It has been a little odd to turn recently so I figure the cylinder is just worn and I was going to replace it. The auto parts store doesn't seem to carry the ignition cylinder. I found a couple websites that have one, but it looks like a kit that doesn't come with the key, which would be ok since I would want to have it re-keyed anyway.

My questions are these. Is this seem reasonable to explain the issue I am seeming to have? Does the ignition cylinder for these cars always come as a kit like that, I have seen some on ebay etc, but they are always up to 98 and 2000 on.

Also I would like to get a new trunk cylinder if anyone knows where I can get that, from the same place preferably.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 AM

I don't know the answer to your question because I have not had to deal with it yet!
But my 94 has pretty much been that way since new, well 1996 anyway when it was purchased. It always has been finicky and slightly different in use.
I have had to be careful that the steering wheel is not tight up against it's lock positions and when I turn the ignition off that I push the key straight IN to the steering column as I turn it.
Whether it is my car or not I don't know. Also key wear may also be a factor as I recently had a new key made and it works better.
Steering wheel position has also been a factor in inserting and turning the key.
I've owned the car long enough now (since 1996) it has been habit but it took awhile to train myself to do it.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Yeah, my '99 SW2 has key issues...occasionally it's difficult to insert the key but with some jiggling and finicking it goes, and sometimes upon removal the key hole does not pop out like it's supposed to so dinging results, just have to tap it to get it to pop out...haven't thought about having to replace it yet, 'cause wifey doesn't have to drive it! LOL!