2007 Saturn Ion-2 2.2 air bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 06:39 PM
Default 2007 Saturn Ion-2 2.2 air bags

Can someone here tell me if this model, which is a base model, comes equipped with air bags in the seats? I want to get a new seat from a salvage yard and want to get the same one that matches what came with my car but I don't have my owners manual.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2024, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Do you mean it is the base model of the ion2 or the base ion model? Wasn't there an ion 1?

Anyway, go to a parts site like GMpartsdirect.com and punch in your VIN, then search the seats. Only way to be sure. You may have to try several sites as a lot of the sites are no longer listing that discontinued parts that are in the diagrams.

Personally, I'd be Leary of getting a seat from a wrecking yard that's been out in the rain and snow due to mold concerns. You also don't know whether the airbags have been compromised and you won't know if there are any electrical issues until you plug them into your car. But if you need a seat you need a seat

Old 04-24-2024, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Do you mean it is the base model of the ion2 or the base ion model? Wasn't there an ion 1?

Anyway, go to a parts site like GMpartsdirect.com and punch in your VIN, then search the seats. Only way to be sure. You may have to try several sites as a lot of the sites are no longer listing that discontinued parts that are in the diagrams.

Personally, I'd be Leary of getting a seat from a wrecking yard that's been out in the rain and snow due to mold concerns. You also don't know whether the airbags have been compromised and you won't know if there are any electrical issues until you plug them into your car. But if you need a seat you need a seat
Well, it's an Ion 2 but the base model, meaning manual seats and windows, etc.

I just purchased a seat for an 18 Kia Optima and cleaned it really well. The donor car was recked to where the passenger side seat deployed the air bad, and also other spots. Rain had also gotten inside the car, and all the carpet was wet due to windows being broken. The seat was fine as far as that, tho. However, when I plugged in the wires, the lumbar/back function didn't work. It's a manual seat but that's the only part that's electric. I also noticed that the seat belt light goes out when I put on my seat belt, but the ding sound doesn't go away. Can't remember if that's how it was with the original seat. I might have to put the old seat in just to check. I was hoping the airbag in the seat would deploy like it's supposed to. Is there a way to find out? There is no airbag warning on the dash or anything. A little off-topic, but I was just curious about it.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2024, 09:54 AM

According to the FSM, there are no seat air bags in any model or options for the 2005-2007 Ions. There is an air bag in the steering wheel, in the instrument panel (right side), and in the roof rails on both sides, but none in the seats. There is a sensor in the passenger front seat to detect if a passenger is present (weight sensor).

Old 04-24-2024, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldmarine
According to the FSM, there are no seat air bags in any model or options for the 2005-2007 Ions. There is an air bag in the steering wheel, in the instrument panel (right side), and in the roof rails on both sides, but none in the seats. There is a sensor in the passenger front seat to detect if a passenger is present (weight sensor).
Thanks! I figured this but wanted to be sure. Now I don't have to pay the fixed price at the salvage yard I'm going to for the air bag option off of assumption, which obviously is going to cost more.

Just curious, what's FSM? A site is can go to? If so, I would like to bookmark it for future reference if I'm trying to figure something else out

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2024, 01:16 PM

I found a site a few years ago when I first got my 2004 Ion that had the Factory Service Manuals for download. I got the 2003-2004 and 2005-2007 manuals from there, but don't remember what site it was and can't find it again. However there is a sticky on the general tech help forum of this site that has a link to all online Saturn manuals: (copy/paste the link provided, the page you see is just an image)

Ion Service Manuals

Last edited by oldmarine; 04-24-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

FSM = field service manual or factory service manual
It's what the techs at the dealerships referr to for instructions on how to diagnose and repair different vehicles.