Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Severe pain in leg, help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:51 PM

Well, I don't know, but I'll bring it up to him at the next appointment... I have a friend with herniated discs in his back that causes him similar pain/numbness...

Old 08-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

exactly where i was headed....

Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 PM

So, I was at the doctor today, we discussed the condition once again... Asked about history of diabetes(my grandmother is), and asked about my diet(which sucks)... He ordered some blood to be drawn and lab work done on it to see if I have some sort of vitamin/mineral deficiency before referring me to a neurologist...

Shortly after having the blood drawn, I passed out in the exam room... I figured that I would, given my history...

What a fun day...

Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

from the sight of blood, or because your body said "sorry, that's it.." ?

Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 AM

I truly don't know... I didn't look while the vein was tapped, or while the tubes were filling, but felt the entire procedure, including tube changes... I talked with the guy during the filling of the first tube, but fell silent through the second, and the room began darkening during the third... I lasted about two minutes, after the needle was taken out, with the room going black and sweating profusely before basically pouring a cup of water onto the floor(my attempt at getting a drink), and agreeing with the nurse that I needed to lay down on the bed... After what seemed like about a minute lying down, the sweating stopped and I got up again, weak and shaky but stable... After about ten minutes(by this time I was out in my car) I was 100% fine again...

Old 08-19-2015, 01:33 AM

I have been living in pain for the last 30 years due it seems to back damage falling off of a horse as a teenager and landing on a rock. Fast forward to about 43 years of age what had been diagnosed on an off as a pulled muscle was in reality my back signaling that it was in trouble and ended up with surgery to solve it but leaving me with 24/7 pain and a bit of disability in my legs. Fast forward again to age 59 that and other things lead to being disabled. You have no idea how much fun it is to be jobless and in pain and having the insurance bail on you. But did discover the VA was there as an umbrella.
slow forward to today, the last 10 years living on Oxycodone and Methadone keeps the pain dealable and remember it is the abuse of those products that are problem, not the use of them but the pain is getting worse and out of control. So how does this fit? Surprise!!!! I thought that the back which is in trouble was causing the increase in problems. Nope, not this time. I have artery blockage between the waste and the knee causing blood control problems to my lower legs. So increased exercise like running or mowing the lawn or even walking fast the muscles are complaining they do not have enough oxygen due to decrease in blood supply. Me? I did not see this coming. Pain is pain, the reasons can be different. And in this case they are. I need an artery transplant to get more blood to my lower leg muscles. I was so use to living in pain the doctor carefully explained what was going on and it did not register for about an hour that I was in serious problems and was borderline of loosing my legs if I did not get an operation.
The point?
See a good doctor and use an open mind, there might be something unexpected going on with that pain, it might not be an old injury acting up. It might be a new one with the same symptoms. It was for me and if I ignored it any longer I might very well have found myself wheel chair bound which makes it bloody hard to drive the cars I have so carefully built up over the years.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:17 AM

Dang Unc! When's the surgery and where are they getting the replacement arteries?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:00 PM

That sucks! Hope all goes well with the artery transplant... Thankfully the doctor was able to rule out blood flow issues with an ultrasound test... We are down to either a pinched nerve somewhere, or a lack of some critical vitamin/mineral...

Old 08-29-2015, 02:22 AM

Well, the blood tests come back normal... Which is good, except that from here out, both doctor visits(I've been referred to a neurologist) and the tests get expensive... Remember guys, this is still trying to get a confirmed diagnosis and try and formulate a plan of treatment/cure/repair/euthanasia...

Old 08-30-2015, 08:27 AM

I've been reading the thread, it is a collage of the state of insurance as it deals with trying to get medical help and the old saw of "Pain Hurts" and it distracts one from the reality of trying to have a life. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Severe pain in leg, help?