Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here...

Cleaning up paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Default Cleaning up paint

The previous owner of my SC2 used some kind of cement to attach a broken mirror back onto the car. I'm in the process of repairing it correctly and I was wondering if someone had any ideas about cleaning up the area.

I'd like to save the paint if I can, Cranberry is a very rare color. I can try scraping it off, but if there was a solvent I could use, I would be grateful!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

pic link broken

Old 05-12-2015, 11:03 PM

I wonder if some dry ice rubbed on it might cause dissimilar contraction and the cement might release. I've never tried it but it might be a first attempt before trying a solvent on your paint.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Just a caution, dry ice can cause serious skin damage. If you try this do not let it come in contact with bare skin.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Just a caution, dry ice can cause serious skin damage. If you try this do not let it come in contact with bare skin.
Yes i should have said that! thanks

Dry ice is -109f or colder so its not to be handled without good protection.

Also its co2 so don't use or let it sublimate in an enclosed space. I would put it in my home only an outside feezer.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

hell I should have said that..I'm a Chemist by training....

Also, you have think about how the materials will be losing heat in this situation.

If the cement gets very cold very fast but does not release from the door, then the paint will "freeze " next -- and if that whole combo comes off, you've missed your objective and hosed the paint.

I wish your pic link wasn't broken.

If it is some type of thin clear glue, it may be cyano-acrylate based (like KrazyGlue) in which case in can be dissolved CAREFULLy with acetone (found in Nail polish remover or found CONCENTRATED at HD, Lowes, etc. Try some nail polish rem first w a q tip on an out of sight spot to see it it works.

I don't doubt that concentrated acetone will wreck the clear coat and paint--it's used as a solvent for many things, so don't go there.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:40 PM

I think I have a solution to the pictures problem. I'll take some up-close pictures and post them shortly.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:14 PM

Ok, photos can be found here.
http://www.cardomain.com/ridepost/63...turn-s-series/

It's not the most elegant photo solution, but it works.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:43 PM

Ok, I've learned how to post photos here.

I'm not concerned with the mirror bracket as I'm going to be replacing that this weekend. I'm more concerned with the door panel.

Attached Thumbnails Cleaning up paint-img_2438.jpg   Cleaning up paint-img_2439.jpg   Cleaning up paint-img_2440.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 05:00 PM

wow sorry you have that mess, I'm not sure what they used, looks a bit like jb weld. It will be easier to clean off when you get the mirror off.

Quick Reply: Cleaning up paint