Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Smoking steering wheel column

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 PM

My 92 SL2 has once again decided to PMS on me. Its becoming a monthly thing. This month's problem: Failure of the dimmer switch (I think) which is causing a lack of interior lights as well as the lights for the turn signals (Signals still work, just not lighting up as usual with headlights on). Today it was rainy, so when I went to go to the store, I turned on the headlights, and the steering column started venting out white smoke which did smell like burning wire. I immediately brought the car home and turned off everything electrical. Problem had arisen last night, 2/06. Dad drove it to work earlier that day at around 5AM, and said the car and headlights/interior lights had no problems. Now, I'm sure if I replace the dimmer, it should be fine, but I'm also curious if it could be a more serious problem as AutoZone warned it could be. They say it could be the entire cluster within the steering wheel column. However, I think its justa shorting wire, because I still have normal headlights and such. Any sort of help or confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 AM

White smoke rolling out from anywhere on the inside of a car is definitely a bad thing. I would in fact stop driving the car until you get it fixed.As far as the issue of it being a dimmer/turn signal Vs wiring cluster, I would say that either way thecover on columnhas to be removed, so looking for signs of burnt wire should be easy. Considering that you say the lights and signals where malfunctioning, I would lean more toward it being a faulty switch. Now I am not sure if 92 sl2s had airbags, but if yours does, make sure you do not deploy it accidentally. Have someone help that knows how to disable it, or take it to a shop. Edited by: answerman

Old 02-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Well, I had removed the cover the other day, and on the signal connector it looks like a brownish wire and a black wire were melted together, possibly creatinga short which is why the fuse keeps popping. I haven't driven the car since the problem started, and I'll let everyone know what happens with the car later today

Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 AM

Update: I traced the wire and replaced the burnt sections with new wire. The interior lights and side marker lights turned on briefly with the headlights, but then quickly stopped working again. I yet again traced the wire to find no burnt sections. So, now I'm stumped and could really use some help. Could a bad dimmer switch be causing the problem?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:15 PM

I have a similar problem but no smoking...I have a 93' SL1 and the HUD dimmer works but if I put it all the way to the right (brightest) it blows the #5 fuse in the fusebox. It is a pain to replace since as soon as I replace the #5 fuse and turn the first set of lights on it blows again. I have to drive at night not knowing how fast im going or how much gas I have haha...its a manual car and i'm used to the RPM's but it sucks just not being able to see it. I replaced that #5 fuse again and it hasn't blown...but its like every time I start to drive the car the HUD comes on and when I stop or idle it turns off like theres not enough power...I have a nice $1,000 system in my car but I don't think thats the problem since there isn't any sound quality loss. I ordered a capacitor and a 200amp alternator do you think that will solve the problem? There was also a recall I believe for the fuse box inside the 93' saturn sl1's, I don't think the previous owner of the car got it looked at.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Well on mine it keeps blowing the dimmer fuse in the instrument panel junction box (#13). But do know this - when you're HUD isn't lit, neither are your tailights. They're on the same general circuit (at least on the 92 SL2 they are) Just check this one night with your HL on. Might be different for you. I'm not sure if the alternator will work for you though. Might put too much power through the tiny wires that run the dimmer and HUD lights. Remove your steering column cover and check for any melted wires before installing the alternator.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Another update - The dimmer switch in the car was bad, had a burnt smell to it. Replaced more wiring leading to the switch as that was also burnt and the new dimmer should be here Thursday. Also, when I run the normal fuses in the instrument panel junction box, the parking lights stay on even when the headlight selector switch is turned off. Any tips?

HELP ME! I want to take a sledge to the dash!

Old 02-14-2007, 01:20 AM

Check the wiring again.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 AM

I did after I posted. The wires leading to the dimmer were melted together slightly. I still ordered a new switch just to be safe, and for only $20, its not a bad deal. I also may replace the instrument panel junction box anyway. Its old and I think it may have been damaged from a water leak.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 AM

Ok, now here's whats going on for anyone who's still reading this, and I really need some help here. When I plug the normal 10A fuse into port 15 on the instrument panel junction box, the parking lights, tail lights, marker lights, and IP cluster lights remain on. Now, I'm sure there's yet another short, but I need to know which wire leads to that fuse so I can trace it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks