Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

replace or tighten tension pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 AM

i have a 95 sl2 with roughly 120,000. the belt is making a lot of noise when you first take off. very little at idle but a little. and usually only when you first start it. the belt seemed loose so i decided to buy a new one and make sure this one was tight. i had a very hard time removing when i did this. i found the tension pulley and loosened the nut. i understand this is spring loaded but have never messed with one before. after loosening nut i thought the belt would come off easier. it didnt. i had to pry off with tools. after installing new one the belt noise lessened but is still there. the belt is still a bit loose. my main question is what is the process of tightning a belt with a spring loaded pulley? if i loosen the nut will the spring automatically tighten then i can tighten nut back up? or do i loosen nut, pull up (tension) with socket wrench, then tighten back up? ive heard "self adjusting" and it sound like it tightens up by itself? could someone enlighten me? thank you. (ive been told by a guy at kragen auto that i may need to replace the tensioner altogether..may be the bearing making noise)

Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed -- these tensioners are considered "consumables" on the S cars. You've gotten your money's worth out of the original.

Replace with a new one.

As for adjustments -- you don't need to make any. Since it is spring-loaded, it will place the correct tension on the belt.

Don't mess with loosening the nuts. Once you've replaced it, the trick is to put a wrench/socket over the center nut of the pulley and rotate clockwise --this retracts the spring, which relieves the tension enough for you to get the belt on and off. No need to pry with tools.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 AM

aahhh. thank you. if i can get my hand down there to replace..ill be doing that this weekend.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM

I replaced mine on my 92 SL2. Its a lot easier of you lift the car up on the passenger side (may be different on the 95) and get underneath it to release the tension on the belt, then remove the tensioner. I also had an extra set of hands to pull the belt off the A/C compressor and power steering pump, which made things a lot easier. Hope this helps a little