Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

water pump bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 08:28 PM

I am trying to replace my water pump on my 94 saturn and the last bolt is not coming out. I put the socket wrench to it and it stripped the bolt - the initial part. I soacked it with WD-40 hoping to break up anything that might be locking it up. Pulled out the vice wrench and went to town on it. Still no luck. The bolt is now pretty much shot and the vice wrench is have trouble even staying on the bolt.

I want to avoid breaking off the head as much as possible because I have heard horry stories of getting the shaft out of the block. Also there is only about 10-12 inches of clearance straight on to the bolt.

This is the only thing keeping me for completing the change. Any ideas? Are there tools that would help me out without the need of drilling?

thanks

Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM

Well, I was about to say there's plenty of drilling options up until i read that last sentence. You've still got plenty of other options tho. Lubricants, hammering, and heat. I'd say thebest lubricant for this situation is PB Blaster. since the head of the bolt is probably all messed up it may be better to go straight for the sure-fire ways. Get a torch and heat up the metal around the bolt (careful not to get any aluminum too hot), and working quickly give the head of the bolt a good rap and turn thatbolt outta there. Sometimes people will weld a good sized nut on the end of the bolt to get stubborn bolts out, but it's not a good idea to be welding acrossthe engine or itscomponents.

Good luck, and sorry for the novel, but with some persistence it should come out.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 AM

do bolt extractors (i.e. socket pieces with teeth) work at all? I was thinking of getting a small kit from Ace Hardware ( http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...roductId=23645 06&cp=&origkw=bolt+extractor&kw=bolt+e xtractor&a mp;parentPage=search&searchId=19702077842 )or something but if they are not going to do any good, I guess why bother.

If grabbing a torch would be a better option I guess I can do that instead.Edited by: jisham

Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM

I dunno; i've had mixed luck with the internal tooth sockets, but at only $19 for the setthey might not be a bad addition to your tools.

Even just a little propane torch can get the job done.

Let us know how it goes

Old 12-11-2006, 04:18 PM

I got the torch because the Ace within walking distance of my house did not cary the socket version of the bolt extractors. I've been trying to heat the bolt up but it is either not getting hot enough or the head is too far warn for the vice grip wrench to stay on it.

It is funny how expensive a simple job like replacing a water pump can get.

I'm going to continue with the torch for now - kinda freaky with a flame like that in the engine, I keep thinking I might catch the fuel line or something - I think that is on the other side of the engine though.

Funny story - I had the torch on the bolt and a car drove by and backfired, it sounded like the torch being lit and I thought to myself "Oh **** it's going to explode" then I turned around and saw the car backfire down the street. I was glad no one was watching. :-)

Old 12-11-2006, 05:28 PM

So i measured the straight on clearence and it is actually closer to 4 inches. I have tried heating it and no luck - I do have some battle wounds from the top of the engine block and the lower part of the engine block.

I am thinking I might try finding the socket bolt extractors. Other suggestions I have had are to break off the head and the shaft would be easier to pull out.Edited by: jisham

Old 12-11-2006, 10:23 PM

Got it - bought a Craftsman bolt removal set from sears - took me 10 minutes or less. go figure, nice tools though.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] Edited by: jisham

Old 12-12-2006, 12:14 AM

Goes to show how every bolt is a little different. Good to hear you got er out