Vue Brakes Shudder at low speed

Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Default Vue Brakes Shudder at low speed

I've bought a second hand 2004 Vue which was in mint condition about 1.5 years ago.

Recently I've been having an issue when braking at a low speed. For instance, coming up on a red light and as you come to a slow speed (approx 10-15kmh) the brakes shudder loudly. You can even feel it in the brake pedal itself.

I'm no mechanic and I only know some basics about cars but from my knowledge it sounds like the ABS or calipers are not gripping tight enough when going at this speed. At any other speed it is perfectly fine when stopping. There is no noise except when reaching that low speed.

Has anyone else had this issue or something similar.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 AM

I know this may sound like not much help but when was the last time you had the brakes replaced?
It sounds as if they should be looked at either by yourself or who ever does this for you.
Front brakes do the major portion of the braking on yours or anyones car and generally wear out first.
This is agravated by the lack of engine braking that may exist with your car, that which causes the car to slow down by itself when you let up on the gas approaching a stop light or other reasons to slow down.
If you do your own work, jack it up and check to see how much pad is left if any and take approriate action.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM

The brakes I have on right now are practically brand new. Front pads were put on about this time last year and are still in very good shape, I had picked up a new pair to replace them about 2-3 months ago but after looking at them there was no need. The rear shoes were also replaced about a month ago.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

OK - at first blush, it appears the brakes themselves are good (assuming that the rotors were checked for wear, runout and warpage).

Manually turn off the ABS system and get in a vacant parking lot. See if your problem still shows up with the ABS switched OFF

Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM

This still could be an iffy problem. Part compatibility.
I replaced my rear brakes on my town &Country last year, should have been good. Just got back from an 8000 mile road trip. Got into Georgia and noticed a problem with my rear brakes. Stopped and bought rotors and Ceramic pads from Carquest and continued to Florida where I knew I could get the tools I needed, the place to work and a jack.
I had installed one of the pads incorrectly and wore it out quite quickly.
The point, I caused the problem giving premature wear and when a pad got thin enough it cause erratic operation .
Not the first time I have screwed up. I have also had at least 1 set of bad replacement rotors, again causing that type of problem. I am not saying it is, but when that happens to me it usually has been wear or a parts problem. And it shows up with age, not immediatly.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:57 AM

I removed the ABS fuse and checked the brakes in any situation the shudder might have occured. It was a success, there was absolutely no shudder or noise. I now know at least, that there is some issue going on with the ABS system. As I recall, it did not begin happening until after I had some major work done on the front. My steering went when a universal joint broke. I've no idea if the two systems are connected at all but perhaps the mechanic damaged the ABS when fixing the steering. Though in my experience they've always done exceptional work.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned

OK - now we are getting somewhere ....

I would return to the dealership (repair shoppe) that did your steering work, and talk with the shoppe manager. Explain to him(her) the symptoms, and offer to let him(her) perform the same tests you have done. I expect that when they look into the matter, they will find a front wheel sensor either totally disconnected, or badly out of alignment. Don't use the word "damage" in your discussion, as it holds negative vibes and suggests malice on the part of the repair person - give them an out (chance to save face), and you should get the system repaired at no charge. Good luck ....

Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the help and advice. I will give them a call the first chance I get and maybe next week I can stop by their shop. I will let you know how everything turns out.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:19 AM

Happy Dance, good diagnostics and all!