Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   VTI tranny swap (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/vti-tranny-swap-9308/)

bccamc 02-22-2014 11:13 AM

VTI tranny swap

I have a 2004 saturn vue 2.2 awd with vti trans.Is their any other trans that could be used to replace it.I have heard that 03 and 04 ion,s have been replaced with af23 systems.don,t know if that would work for saturn vue.Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks Bruce

sw2cam 02-22-2014 03:46 PM

Good luck, none of us have done it, and don't know of any posts of those that have.

blaisa 03-14-2014 08:37 AM

I am currently prepping to do a VTI to 5 speed conversion just in case you might want to go a simpler and more long term reliable route. Still short a clutch master cylinder so once I get that I will pull it in the shop and do the swap. Other projects in front of it right now.

blaisa 08-26-2014 02:52 PM

5 speed conversion completed with no unforeseen issues other than check engine and reduced power lights being on in the dash cluster but no codes stored in the computer nor is there any drivability issues. Only other thing was I had to splice into the small wire attached to the starter and run it in series through the clutch pedal switch so the vehicle had a neutral safety switch.

gattabout 12-19-2014 07:13 AM

I am doing a similar swap. 2002 Saturn Vue VTI swapping to a 2005 5 speed. i am curious as to what ECM did you use? How did you get fuel system and starter engage to work?

blaisa 12-20-2014 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by gattabout (Post 45955)
I am doing a similar swap. 2002 Saturn Vue VTI swapping to a 2005 5 speed. i am curious as to what ECM did you use? How did you get fuel system and starter engage to work?

Sorry folks I have meant to post an update to the conversion. I ran my Vue with the original engine ECM until I located an ECM for a manual transmission equipped Vue. The Automatic Vue ECM causes the vehicle to run under reduced power. Installing the Manual Vue ECM made the Vue run awesome! The only thing is that when you install the new ECM you must teach the new ECM to recognize the vehicle ignition / key. If you need that procedure just let me know. It takes about 40 minutes. There are no trouble lights on the dash like previously mentioned with the automatic Vue ECM installed.

As for the fuel system: The wiring harness which I got off a Vue with a Manual transmission with a 2.2 was a plug and play with my engine and the newly installed 5 speed transmission.

Starter: Use the one that came with the Manual transmission, even though I truly think either will work.

Hope that this helps, Andy

gattabout 12-21-2014 09:28 AM

Saturn Swap

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head! What is the procedure to clear the security code?
Thanks, Gattabout

blaisa 12-22-2014 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gattabout (Post 45973)
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head! What is the procedure to clear the security code?
Thanks, Gattabout

Install new ECM
1. turn key to the "crank position". Engine will try to start then stall and go into security mode. Back key off to the "ON" position. Do not turn off.
Security light will blink then stay on.
2. Wait 10 minutes.
3. Once security light goes out turn the key to the "OFF" position. Wait 30 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 two more times. On the 4th attempt the engine should start. If the engine does not start repeat the process.

It has worked the first time every time for me.

Andy

gattabout 12-22-2014 03:52 PM

Communication Reset

Thanks Andy,
I will give that a try.
When I turn key to start I don't hear the fuel system cycle and no response from starter engage. I may have other issues going on also? Will keep plugging away at it. Gattabout

derf 12-22-2014 10:19 PM

might be a good idea to hook the battery up to a charger or jumper it to another car that is running to make sure your battery does not die on you mid stream. Sounds like you have already tripped the security hence no fuel pump sound

gattabout 12-26-2014 06:44 PM

Eureka! I found some wiring issues and got them straightened out. Car starts and drives but the reduced power light is on! However i don't have any security light issues. Is the procedure to reset this different because of the car starting now?

blaisa 12-27-2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gattabout (Post 46003)
Eureka! I found some wiring issues and got them straightened out. Car starts and drives but the reduced power light is on! However i don't have any security light issues. Is the procedure to reset this different because of the car starting now?

Which ECM do you have on the engine?

gattabout 12-28-2014 07:44 AM

VTI swap

I switched ECM's yesterday and car went into "security" code. Used communications reset procedure and on 4th step engine started and the reduced power setting was reset to normal. Now I don't have cruise control. I am wondering if that was controlled with the AWD ECM? I am going to troubleshoot more on Monday. A friend has a code reader I can borrow, there is a "Service Engine" light on.
Thanks for all the "expert" advice I have recieved so far on this project! It has been a tremendous help just knowing I am headed in the right direction!

Gattabout, 2002 Vue AWD VTI tranny swap to a 2005 Vue 5-speed.

gattabout 12-28-2014 07:46 AM

Oh yeah, I didn't have speedometer before swapping ECM, now I don't have cruise but do have speedometer!
Almost there, Gattabout

Rubehayseed 12-28-2014 04:03 PM

Sounds like you're slowly, but surely getting all the bugs worked out, man. I admire your tenacity. I'm just not that patient anymore.

blaisa 12-29-2014 06:51 AM

Regardless of what you do the service engine light will stay on. My cruise control worked as soon as the procedure was performed to get the new ECM to function. After running my Vue for a while now I have a check engine light on. The thing is that after checking it with a scanner numerous times without finding any codes or pending codes I feel it is a faulty signal being sent to the light. Every now and then when driving my speedometer needle drops to 0 and back up to speed for a second but does not effect the cruise control or anything else so that issue must be in the cluster, I'm assuming. My Vue is only front wheel drive so I am not familiar with the AWD model configuration. Is the ECM that you acquired from a 5 speed Vue which was AWD? Maybe that could make a difference.

Glad I have been able to assist you.

blaisa 12-29-2014 06:55 AM

Might also want to ensure that your fuse for the cruise control is good. Also unplug and plug in the plug at the cruise control module to ensure a good solid connection there as well.

gattabout 12-29-2014 07:40 AM

cruise issue

That will be my 1st check, connections and fuses.
Hope to have the car on the road (legally) by evening. Of course being retired somedays I don't get out to the shop till noon, LOL
Thanks again for all the help, Gattabout

derf 12-29-2014 04:51 PM

Blaisa -- where'd your signature go? Please reinstate

gattabout -- please configure yours to match those already on the forum. Click on your name at the top right of the screen, go to user cp and edit your signature. Thanks. Glad to see you two are working so closely together to solve the annoying minutia of these kinds of swaps.

First and foremost, it gets your vehicle on the road.
Second, it documents the path to get there and the small details someone needs to know.

That's what satunforum is all about.

blaisa 12-30-2014 11:36 AM

I usually take my signature off in a thread after it has been used initially. Maybe I should shorten it if I need to post every time I post a reply because I do not want folks thinking I am bragging about my vehicles. Thus the reason for not repeatedly posting my signature in a thread.

I love to help out as that is the reason in which I first sought out this forum in the first place. Doing this swap has been pretty straight forward and easy once it was accomplished.

derf 12-30-2014 12:29 PM

you don't need to retype it each time
go up to the top corner of the screen, find your name, click on it, select user CP, and then the link on the left that says edit signature.

No one thinks you're bragging. You have what you have

blaisa 12-30-2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 46042)
you don't need to retype it each time
go up to the top corner of the screen, find your name, click on it, select user CP, and then the link on the left that says edit signature.

No one thinks you're bragging. You have what you have

I just unclick the signature box when I have submitted follow on replies. Acceptable? I don't feel that I needed my hand slapped by a senior moderator for such an admittedly non violation. Let's please get back on subject. Thanks, Andy

gattabout 12-31-2014 04:56 AM

Thanks to all your help my car is on the road! I do have a "servive engine" light on but haven't checked for codes yet. I need to hook up with a friend who has a scanner. Car runs great! Found the wiring in the steering column to be the culprit with the cruise control.
Project:
2003 Vue All Wheel Drive VTI transmission swapped to a 2005 Vue 5 speed manual.

Thanks for all the advice, Gattabout!

derf 12-31-2014 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 46024)
Blaisa -- where'd your signature go? Please reinstate

Andy,

First of all I said please. I didn't slap your hand. No warning. No threats.
Notice I politely asked gottabout to do the same within the same post.
And all the moderators here (sw2cam and RJion) politely request the same of all new members.

And the only level of moderator in this software is "super" so I'm just a garden variety mod like the others.

If you feel that you don't want to list all your cars, that's your choice and I'm fine with that.

The main reason we ask people to config a recurring signature is so we know what Saturn(s) they own so we don't have to go scrolling back through a thread just to redetermine what Satty the post is about.

You've made excellent contributions to the forum already and I am sure more are to come. Anyone with that many cars obviously knows a thing or two -- which we're hoping you'll share

Can we please meet halfway and just have a permanent sig with name, location, and satty (year and model)? Short & sweet.

Thanks

blaisa 12-31-2014 11:41 AM

Thanks for the complement. I will continue to share with others here. That is the reason I first came here and I will pay it forward to others.

As for the signature, I will post a typed short signature on follow up comments if a signature of some sort is required.

Andy B.
2004 Saturn Vue w/ 5 speed swap

derf 12-31-2014 11:26 PM

Works for me.

Thank you.

blaisa 01-01-2015 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by gattabout (Post 46059)
Thanks to all your help my car is on the road! I do have a "servive engine" light on but haven't checked for codes yet. I need to hook up with a friend who has a scanner. Car runs great! Found the wiring in the steering column to be the culprit with the cruise control.
Project:
2003 Vue All Wheel Drive VTI transmission swapped to a 2005 Vue 5 speed manual.

Thanks for all the advice, Gattabout!

You will continue to have the "service" light with the wrench next to it on. This is a light I am assuming that means you have passed a certain mileage where a service is due. At least that is what my Mercedes does. You will more than likely not find and trouble codes or pending trouble codes. Even if you do and correct the issue the light will remain because this light will not go out by removing codes. Removing codes will only turn the "service engine soon" light off.

Glad to hear you found the issue with the cruise control. Now your another 5 speed swapper on the road with a smile!! :) Talk about a peppy little SUV with a 5 speed and all that hands on control of the shifts.

Lets spread our experiences!

Andy
04 Vue with VTI to 5 speed swap

derf 01-01-2015 11:28 PM

I will cut the chit chat out of this thread and make it into a sticky.
Nice work guys!

gattabout 01-07-2015 10:53 AM

Hooked up scanner to puill codes: P1599
This is going to be interesting!
Service manual says this could be a driver induced stall or near stall.
I'll keep you all posted when I figure something out. To cold to play with it today!
Gattabout

gattabout 01-31-2015 07:55 PM

Got rid of all the issues! No longer have the "Service Engine" light on! Found an issue with the Electric Steering Assist. Weak ground, made corrections and all failure codes cleared up.

gattabout 01-31-2015 08:01 PM

I have driven 700 miles and car runs flawlessly! Very satisfied with performance and economy, 23.5 mpg last trip cruise set at 70mph (turnpike speed limit).

Rubehayseed 01-31-2015 09:15 PM

23.5 is all you get? Hell, I've got a 99 Dodge Grand Caravan that gets 22.3 mpg on the highway at 70mph. I would think you should get better mileage than that since your vehicle weighs less and I'll bet doesn't have 208,000 miles on it.

derf 01-31-2015 11:25 PM

gatt,

4 or 6 banger in that vue?

Rubehayseed 02-01-2015 08:12 AM

He's got the 2.2 four banger, derf. THAT could explain it. Too small of an engine for a vehicle that size.

gattabout 02-01-2015 10:18 AM

There could be due to RPM at 70mph, 2900rpm. I got 24.5 combined city/ highway. The rear end differential is probably causiing some of the extra work. it is still there from when it was AWD.
I had an 08 Caravan 6 cyl that got 23.5 highway but the rpms where lower at cruising speeds!
Going to tune up Vue, now that it is proven to be a feasible swap. No sense in throwing money out until I had it on the road. It sat in my shop since 2012.

derf 02-01-2015 11:34 AM

understood. Please keep us in the loop on this thread so that others can benefit from seeing what they can expect out of their swap. I didn't realize it was an AWD (or forgot). Either way that would partially explain things.

Thanks

blaisa 02-01-2015 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by gattabout (Post 46378)
Got rid of all the issues! No longer have the "Service Engine" light on! Found an issue with the Electric Steering Assist. Weak ground, made corrections and all failure codes cleared up.

Thanks, I will try the same correction and see if my light goes out.

derf 02-01-2015 09:58 PM

Gatta, Blaisa,

Could you please modify your sigs to indicate your Vues were auto to manual conversions? It should make it easier for folks to find your posts related to this subject.

Thanks!

blaisa 02-02-2015 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 46392)
Gatta, Blaisa,

Could you please modify your sigs to indicate your Vues were auto to manual conversions? It should make it easier for folks to find your posts related to this subject.

Thanks!

Is this signature better?

Rubehayseed 02-02-2015 10:26 PM

That's what he's looking for. Thanks, Andy!