Turning off DTRL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM

Anyone know a way to turn off the DTRL (day time running lights)?

I'm in the military and as I approach base, I try to turn off lights as it makes it easier for the SP's to see me and my sticker.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 PM

To disable the DRL feature you must remove the relay in the engine compartment electrical box labeled "DRL."

Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM

2007 Vue - Does anybody know which wire run to headlights? What i am wanting to do is run the DRL wire to an external set of lights and thenupgrade the oem buckets to12,000K HID lights. Any know which wire it is?Edited by: bigbear75

Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

BigBear75

Are you trying to bypass the daytime run lights feature entirely, or are you just upgrading the power of your stock lights? Remember, your wiring for your lights is only sized for a 10amp draw to each side.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 PM

i was wondering if how i said it made sense... lets try this again....

[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

I was thinking on in installing somesmall LED lights in the bumper and running the DRL wire to those, so they turn on a DRL''s not the headlight. This way the headlights can be upgraded to HID. You can''t run DRL with HID.

If that isnt an option, then yes disable the DRL feature completely.....

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]I hope this made better sense....[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Banned

BigBear75

OK, I understand what you are trying to do, and the short answer is a resounding ''no''.

Best option is to delve into the wiring harness thatruns from the body control module to the underhood fuse block where the DRL relay is located. Locate thelight greenwire witha black stripe on it. This is the controlling signal for the DRL relay. Do with it as you see fit.

Oh ... do not simply pull theDRL relay, asthat will prevent your right side high beam headlight from getting power

note* edited to correct my poor spelling

Edited by: OceanArcher

Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 PM

So if i Locate thelight greenwire witha black stripe on it and cut the connection that will disable the DRL from coming on? Can i tap into wire? Pleaseelaborate on...quote "Do with it as you see fit.". Thanks for all your help with my issues [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned

BigBear75 ...

Well, I cannot direct/suggest that you cut that wire, because that would disable the DRL relay. This is the control wire for the relay, and has nothing to do with furnishing power to the high beam lamps, only the DRL controlling them.

How the circuit works is as follows: (i will try to keep it simple)

The relay activates when (1) the car is running and the headlight switch is off, or (2) when the switch is in the automatic position, and it is daytime.

The design of the circuit allows the relay (when activated)to place the high lights in a series circuit hookup, thereby allowing only 1/2 of thepower to flow through each light (making them run dim/daytime).

When nighttime comes, or when the headlights are switched on manually, the relay turns off, and the high beam lights are connected in parallel, allowing full power to each lamp. I hope I have explained this clearly .....Edited by: OceanArcher

Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM

Thank you for the explaination. it made perfect sense.

however, i have seen Vue''s and other that have DRL that were disabled and they were running HID''s. Any other ideas of how they do it? Thanks again for all your help......

Old 10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

I can think of a couple of ways to do it, but I personally have not wired any up in the manner you suggest. Looking at the schematics for your car, it should not be too hard.

Here is how I would do it:

(1) I would stop the actuation signal from getting to the DRL relay.

(2) I would remove (and store) the DRL relay.

(3) I would add a jumperto the normally closed contact points of the DRL relay socket.

(4) I would replace my OEM equipment with the aftermarketlightingdevicesof my choice, remembering that I have only a 10amp circuit total for each side. Replacing the existing fuses with a larger value will give the wires a chance to overheat and catch fire- not a good thing Edited by: OceanArcher

Quick Reply: Turning off DTRL?