Shocks for Saturn VUE Redline

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Default Shocks for Saturn VUE Redline

Just acquired a 2008 VUE Redline from my dad. Basically the shocks and struts are inadequate. Very poor dampening with lots of sway as well. Looking for a recommendation for better and stiffer shocks. Any ideas? I was thinking KYB Gas Adjust. Thanks.

Randy

Old 07-14-2017, 05:55 PM

KYB is a very good shock. I don't think you'd go wrong by using them. Just stay the hell away from Gabriel. They rust out pretty fast.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

How many miles on those shocks? It's easy to characterize any worn out part of a car as inadequate. I'm not saying to rush out and buy original GM OEM shocks, which are usually privately labeled shocks of one of the name brands.

I had a 2008 Vue XR which is identical to the Vue RL except for addl trim inside n out, and the factory shocks and springs were still reasonably stiff at 92K for a vehicle of that size. All affordable SUVs will have some body roll. That's the laws of physics as expressed through the design of the vehicle.

The sway is a function of the (anti) sway bar design (diameter, stiffness....).

Don't know if the front has them but the rear likely has sway bar end links which, if they are sealed for life, will eventually go bad. Moog makes a nice set of regrease-able rear sway bar end links for the S series. No clue who makes what for the 2nd gen Vues.

Check your control arm bushings.

KYB's and the AC Delco gas charged shocks are in the same price range. The actual OEM shocks for the XR are 205 each (not).
**** Monroe. Their shocks are mediocre/pedestrian and their mounting hardware is ****. Be sure to hold onto the new hardware if you re use the old -- you'll never find it when you need struts again.

As for shocks, I have no personal experience with them on Vues, but the KYB Gas a Just look affordable.

Do your research/homework and you should be fine. Track down the full specs to see the stiffness differences