Rear view camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 08:48 AM
Default Rear view camera

Hi All—New to the forum. Has anyone replaced their stock radio with a unit that has a rear view camera? I have a 2006 V6 AWD Vue. I see a few units for sale.

The YouTube video for radio removal does give me pause.

Thx. Rich

Old 08-31-2023, 09:30 AM

If removing the radio seems like a daunting task to you, you should take your Vue to a shop and let them do it. Installation will be more difficult than taking the old unit out.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
If removing the radio seems like a daunting task to you, you should take your Vue to a shop and let them do it. Installation will be more difficult than taking the old unit out.
That’s my plan. I was looking for equipment recommendations and results if anyone has done it. BTW mine is a 2007, not 2006.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Don't think we've had any members do it.

Don't know how much current it draws, but you will have to run video compatible cable from the rear of the vehicle to the dash unless they make Bluetooth cameras that simply need power and can link with the newer radio via Bluetooth. That would seem to be the way to go if I was going to do it. Certainly more expensive than running a line from the unit all the way to the back of the vehicle.
Also, I'm not sure where you would mount it in the rear hatch. You'd almost have to have the camera and the head unit first to figure out the mounting angle. Seems above the license plate is pretty standard, but the angle has to be correct and you won't know that until you try.

You would probably have to tap into the hot going to the reverse lights as that is the only device that is switched in sync with shifting into reverse. Just remember if it blows the fuse, you will also have no reverse lights.

You may also wish to consider that you are doing this on a 16-year-old vehicle and the lifespan of the vehicle may not be that much longer. The installation cost will not be cheap

Old 09-01-2023, 09:35 AM

Good points. I did one myself in my last RV, wasn’t that difficult. That camera mounted near the roof. Easier to wire than a car. The car ones I’ve seen are near, or incorporated into, the license plate frame. The radios are pretty cheap. I use the Vue as my RV toad, don’t drive it much otherwise,so the miles don’t pile up. I will talk to a local shop, get the lay of the land. I will report back.