Random and Constant 'Beeping' ! 2008 Vue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Default Random and Constant 'Beeping' ! 2008 Vue

Hello, Really, Really hoping for help. 2008 Saturn Vue XE AWD. I'll be driving and it will just start beeping. I did record and upload two videos to YouTube ( see below ). Note that the random beeping is faster than any other warning beep I've heard, even the door open and key in ignition beeping, which does turn off if I jiggle the key. This initially lead me to believe that this is the issue and needing a new ignition cylinder or housing/switch. I have read where if a battery is changed and constant power isn't made to the PCM that this may be the cause, but, just hoping that there is anyone with more knowledge/experience with this before taking to dealership for a scan, i.e., just trying to save money as I'm sure that's not cheap. Ignition cylinder or housing cost is about $150= housing at $90 and labor at $60, not mention the 2 new keys and fobs that I have and programing for an additional $75 so $225 total.
Thank You.

Beeping while driving.
Stops when jiggling key door open

Old 10-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

My guess would be that there is an issue with the transponder in your key such that it is not communicating properly with the ignition switch. Or the sensor that reads the transponder in your key is going bad. Or the keyminder sensor is confused and thinks the key has been taken out of the ignition.

I believe the door position sensing switches are magnetic now so look for a small plate on the bottom corner of the door. However most vehicles will freak out if you are trying to drive with a door open or if it thinks you are, but you should see an indication of an open door on the dash or in the text display if it thinks the door is open. Have you checked the rear hatch?

Is there anything lit up on the dash? Security light? Door ajar light or text? Service engine soon? Service? Some strange icon whose meaning is unknown? Picture of a key? I am not trying to insult your intelligence but I cannot get a good view from the video.

The fact that it stops if you jiggle the key may not be related to the door. It may be related to the fact that the vehicle is in park. Try doing the same door opening key wiggling with your foot on the brake while in drive but not moving.

Can you ever get the sound to stop while in motion?
You likely need a more advanced scanner that will probably pick up body control module codes as the body control module controls all of these types of things that do not have to do with the engine.

AutoZone and similar can only read the codes related to emission related stuff. P codes.

B codes are body control module codes. These codes do not light the service engine soon light. The only way to know if any have set is to read them with a scanner that can access them. There are also manufacturer specific codes for specific things that don't fit under any of the other code categories.

There are chassis codes. They start with c.
Communication codes start with u.

Things may be getting wonky if different modules in the vehicle are not properly communicating.

I know I am throwing out mostly General stuff here. Your best first step in diagnosis is having the vehicle read with an advanced scan tool. Make sure it can read b c and u codes. You can buy one for not a ton of money. Considering the money it will save you by knowing what's wrong and what the solution is, anything less than 125 means you break even because you'd spend that on a diag at a shop and you may emphasis May be able to fix this yourself or if nothing else know what the problem is, for example defective key, and pay only for that.

Please post the codes and we will try to sort it out.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:13 PM

Hello derf, First, Thank You very much for the detailed reply.
When it starts beeping, there's no lights on the dash...no door open or hatch open, seatbelt warning...nothing.
I didn't try opening the door while driving so I will try that. Only way I can get this to stop is to put it into park, shut it off, and start it up again and HOPE it doesn't come back on, which, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It can go several days, even a few weeks without doing this and then once it starts acting up again, it's almost daily until it decides to give me a break. ( serenity now...serenity nooow ). I did buy this in June and it only came with one key and fob so I bought 2 more of each but have yet to have them cut and programmed only because if I buy the ignition cylinder or housing it would be easier for them to just start from scratch instead of matching to the existing key...I think, but I'll ask and maybe just start with the keys and fobs and see if it does the trick.
The mechanic has a pretty high end scanner but nothing that showed up for them to even have a start to diagnose this issue. I watched them go through all the history codes and nothing really showed up for this, but I didn't know about the different prefixes such as 'U' for "communication" and so on, so maybe I'll take it back and have them do it again.
Thanks again and I'll definitely update asap and hopefully help someone else with the same issue.

Last edited by dogstar001; 10-29-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Most mechanics have pretty capable scanners that can read the P C U and B codes. They should also have support for manufacturer defined codes. Without having this enhanced support mode for GM, they may not be able to detect these codes if they exist. Not 100% sure on that.

If it is an intermittent turnoff remove key reinsert start problem gone type issue, it is likely goimg to be fun to track down. Let me poke around a bit.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

I did some poking around on the internet. Seems this is a common issue across the GM line. Many posts about 2008 GM vehicles but also manufacturer post about pre 2008 Saturn Vues.

The only time I hear this type of really fast beep is if the car is off the key is in the ignition the headlights are still on or parking lights still on and I open the door . The only other time I hear this fast beep is if the vehicle is put in Drive and is moving more than 3 mph with the parking brake still engaged.

Check at initial key on that the brake light on the dash lights up as part of the self test before starting the vehicle. Your parking brake May be partially stuck and engaged or the sensor for it thinks it is from time to time.

Have you made any modifications to the lighting system regarding drls or headlamp conversion kits? Miscommunication or a loose connection somewhere may be causing the vehicle to behave erratically.

There is also the possibility that your body control module is starting to go bad. I have seen posts where people have driven for 28,000 mi and counting with the incessant on and off beeping. That does not mean it is harmless and it does not mean it is for the same reason that yours beeps.

Unfortunately, if it is not in the midst of the issue, you may not find it with the scanner.

Most mechanics will not reprogram or replace the BCM without codes that substantiate a necessity to do so. Even GM dealerships usually will not do this.

I did not find one post that indicated the source of the issue. Part of that is because many of the posts about chiming Vues had a slightly different things going on.

The only thing I learned so far is that the highest priority beeping sequences and therefore the fastest beeping sequences are tied to lights left on and parking brake engaged while moving. Theoretically these can be actually occurring or the information can be fed to the vehicle BCM that the conditions have been met to trigger this rapid beeping. At this point I would not throw money at a BCM, but reprogramming or replacement of the BCM may solve the issue period apparently many of the previous posters didn't have that done to their vehicles so we have no idea whether that is a solution or not.

I hate to leave posts like this unsolved, but I would suggest you try to get a hold of the chiming sequence hierarchy chart from a Saturn field service manual if you want to continue troubleshooting this.

Also, do you keep anything heavy on the passenger seat while driving?

Old 11-12-2020, 11:40 AM

Hello derf, much appreciated for your research and help. Also, I do apologize for not responding sooner as I just saw your latest response..I did not receive an email so I assumed no one has written since. It's funny about you writing about the headlights because as I sit here before coming back on here I checked that very issue to see the timing of the beeps with the headlights on + car off + door open and it matched identical to my issue. I came here to write about that and saw your latest post. I will get this checked out and report. The brake light does come on at initial key on and then turns off when all others turn off, but, I will inform whoever checks the headlight communication of this as a possibility, also. The brake light does not turn on when beeping starts...no lights come on at all...I wish they did to help pinpoint this issue. Again, I appreciate your time and help.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:40 PM

Hello Derf, Could have sworn I replied to this.
Beeping still going on, noting heavy on the passenger seat. I've read a little about the BCM and I think I'm going to see if someone can reprogram it first before replacing it. Also might try the ignition cylinder or the housing. Only other thing going on electrical is: the wipers...the delay is not consistent, meaning, at the same setting, it would delay for 2 seconds a few times, then 4, then 2, then 6, ...all over the place. Air bag light just turned on as well. Sometimes the heater fan would be on when getting into the car after using the remote start, sometimes it won't be on. So, I will update if/when I get this figured out...Thanks Again.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the update.

I would think the wiper control module would be a separate item, as would the ABS control module, as would be the climate control module. This may be an issue with the modules not communicating correctly with the BCM, an issue with the BCM itself, or plain old bad luck. If you have not already done so, I would have someone with a capable scanner read all of the stored codes to see if there are in fact body control module codes and or codes for the control modules of the equipment you mentioned.

The fact that you can get it to go away with key off key out key in key on would indicate that whatever information is triggering the beeping is stored in temporary memory. It takes the vehicle a little while to run through the zillion startup tests and to determine that something is supposedly wrong that does not meet the defined proper criteria and initiates the wild beeping by Design.

I would definitely get these codes read before throwing money blindly at a BCM reprogram. I'm not saying the issue won't be the BCM, I'm simply saying that for that amount of money, you want to be sure.