Pending Evap code and part question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 12:28 PM
Question Pending Evap code and part question

I just bought a 2009 Saturn Vue XE 2.4L.

When I went in to change the spark plugs I noticed a tear in a rubber connecting hose. Can I replace this small part or do I have to buy the whole air intake part?

Any good sources for finding out the part number?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited by cngizbleevng; 08-07-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I do not have a vehicle with an ecotec engine in it, but that does not look like part of the EVAP system. Especially if it is up by the spark plugs. Looks like a rather funky air intake. If you decrease plastic area near the break, if it is not in a high temperature area when assembled, you can likely fix it with something like gorilla tape. Electrical tape will work temporarily but will loosen up from the heat cycling and it will start to leak again.

Please provide depending code in the format Pxxxx, not the name of the code.

We will then try to help you. If you have time, lay the part in the picture where it approximately sits under the hood and show what hose connects to the cracked port

Old 08-07-2021, 06:12 PM

Old 08-07-2021, 06:19 PM

Okay, I need to apologize about the code. It was saved on a log from one of our other cars. I edited my initial post to remove any references to a code.

So the only question I have left then is how can I find out the part number here to replace the broken part. I'd rather do it right.

Thanks.

Last edited by cngizbleevng; 08-07-2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the second picture. Exactly what we needed.

From the attached pictures, it appears that the small right angle section coming off the huge air intake assembly ( a PCV elbow connector ) is an integral part of the entire unit / part.

I also neglected to point out that if you can get everything nice and clean, including the inner edges of the crack, if that is hard plastic coming off of the air intake, you can use a few dabs of JB weld, a two-part epoxy that will fill in the gap and seal the connection. Once this stuff cures, you need not worry about it again---provided the surfaces it is applied to are meticulously clean.

The replacement part is $150 plus shipping.

Please also remember that depending on date of manufacture, it is possible that part has been sitting on a shelf for 12 years dry rotting or in general just getting more brittle. Not as bad as if it was getting heat cycled or being out in the sun, but you don't know what you're going to get.

I would go the JB weld route. Just handle it gingerly after repair, as it may have other weak spots.
Make sure you select all the correct options if you buy it from an online store. I surmised that you had a high output 2.4 l and A 4t45e transmission. I doubt the parts are any different, but I don't want you to mis-spend $150 because of me.

Here are the pictures

:

Last edited by derf; 08-08-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:38 AM

$150?? I wouldn't bother spending that much money on something that nobody can even see. I'd get some JB Weld, clean the area that needs repair and then JB Weld it and forget it.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Manufacturers go to great efforts to eliminate intake drone, look at all those echo killing chambers. It is important to stop the air leak at the cracked fitting, it can let unmetered air into the system. Mass airflow systems are mapped on measuring all intake air and leaks post sensor make for rich conditions or MAF performance codes.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the responses. I JB Welded it, and will check on it occasionally to see how it's holding up.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:44 AM

Cool beans! Stick around and let us know how things go.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:47 PM

Seems to be running well, with my drive today netting an average of 26 mpg.

Unfortunately, the TPMS lamp came on the dash now.

Quick Reply: Pending Evap code and part question