Not happy

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

you MAY be able to force their hand at least a little if you can find the TSB and ask why this was never corrected when you brought it in for service at the dealer.

I'm sure that the incidence was low enough and the safety factor was low enough for GM to NOT be required to do a recall for it.

If you were not taking it to the dealership for maintenance and were not sent a copy of the TSB, you're going to have very little bargaining power.

They will also question your cooling system maintenance records. If you have more miles on the coolant than the factory service interval, you have zero to bargain with.
If you have flushed it within the service interval, be prepared to show service records indicating as such.

One person vs GM -- the new GM -- is legally futile now that I think of it, because the new GM purchased only the assets of old GM -- NOT the liabilities. That's how they are slithering their way out of the ignition switch lawsuits where people died.

Talk about standing behind your product when people die in it.
Save your energy and try to talk down the repair price.

Alpha/02 LW300 -- is the tranny definitely a goner? It was a mix of fluids, not straight coolant. Would a super flush of the tranny n torque converter + the entire cooling system and replacement of the radiator and heater core have a chance of resurrecting this vehicle?

And I don't know where 5K is coming from. I would think you can buy a junkyard/used transmission and have it installed (prob new torque converter too) for much less than that. Radiators and heater cores are a few hundred at most.

Did they give you a written quote? If so, post it as a pic and we'll see what they are proposing to do.

Last edited by derf; 05-20-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Well, I was going to offer to sell you one of my extra transmissions, then I realized you have an awd. That I do not have.
Where are you located man? I can probably find you one cheap if you are close to me.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

I would separate the systems, add an external tranny cooler. Clean the cooling system enough to run the car. Hook the tranny to a flush machine and run cheap fluid through it until you only get clean fluid back out. Jack it up, all four wheels off the ground and run it through all the gears to make sure you get all the coolant flushed out of the tranny and give it a try. It will cost a few hundred bucks to find out if it will live.
I hate to say it but you won't get anywhere with GM.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by derf
you MAY be able to force their hand at least a little if you can find the TSB and ask why this was never corrected when you brought it in for service at the dealer.

I'm sure that the incidence was low enough and the safety factor was low enough for GM to NOT be required to do a recall for it.

If you were not taking it to the dealership for maintenance and were not sent a copy of the TSB, you're going to have very little bargaining power.

They will also question your cooling system maintenance records. If you have more miles on the coolant than the factory service interval, you have zero to bargain with.
If you have flushed it within the service interval, be prepared to show service records indicating as such.

One person vs GM -- the new GM -- is legally futile now that I think of it, because the new GM purchased only the assets of old GM -- NOT the liabilities. That's how they are slithering their way out of the ignition switch lawsuits where people died.

Talk about standing behind your product when people die in it.
Save your energy and try to talk down the repair price.

Alpha/02 LW300 -- is the tranny definitely a goner? It was a mix of fluids, not straight coolant. Would a super flush of the tranny n torque converter + the entire cooling system and replacement of the radiator and heater core have a chance of resurrecting this vehicle?

And I don't know where 5K is coming from. I would think you can buy a junkyard/used transmission and have it installed (prob new torque converter too) for much less than that. Radiators and heater cores are a few hundred at most.

Did they give you a written quote? If so, post it as a pic and we'll see what they are proposing to do.
Derf, is it a 02 LW300, or 08 Vue with AWD?
Either way...Yes, the trans is toast. When water gets inside of an automatic transmission, the friction lining of the clutches absorbs it and dissolves the glue that attaches the clutch material to the clutch plates. Some amount of water will come out of suspension separation and form white gummy masses in various areas throughout the unit. This is why the trans cannot be flushed to remove all of the water. In addition, the presence of water will start rust forming on the ferrous metal parts throughout the unit, including the valves in the valve-body. The amount of water or coolant and the length of time it's in there will determine the extent of the damage. Once enough water gets into the transmission to affect operation, a rebuild is required. It doesn't take much...Less than an ounce of water can cause serious problems.

The cooling system can be flushed. The radiator should be replaced. The heater core will be okay, trans fluid will not hurt the cooling system per-say, but could swell any rubber components, including hoses and seals if left in there too long. So diffidently use a quality 2 part cooling system flush, like Peak, to remove any contamination. After about a month, I would flush it again just to make sure all the contamination is removed.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri; 05-20-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

I stand corrected.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Alpha it's an 08 Vue AWD.
I was soliciting your and 02 LW300's advice, hence the mention of 02 LW300's username.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Now that we know that this is a Vue, I'm moving thread to the Vue section, as we try hard not to mix in tech discussions with new member intros.

Moved.

Last edited by derf; 05-20-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 AM

Now that we know that this is a Vue, I'm moving thread to the Vue section, as we try hard not to mix in tech discussions with new member intros.

Moved.
Good Idea! Still learning how to navigate all the posts...

Old 05-21-2015, 01:53 AM

Alpha it's an 08 Vue AWD.
I was soliciting your and 02 LW300's advice, hence the mention of 02 LW300's username.
That's right...Confuse the new guy and make him look stupid! LOL! (Kidding) Didn't catch the user name, I do good to keep up with my own!

Old 05-21-2015, 11:49 AM

this thread makes me wonder, does the 5-speed manuals have an oil cooler in the radiator? I would go out and pop the hood but it's really kinda cold and damp again today ....... :-)

Quick Reply: Not happy