Noise...Growl

Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 AM
Default Noise...Growl

Hello I have a 2007 Saturn Vue with the 3.5 V6 engine. I have a strange question to ask. On cold startup I hear a noise from the engine compartment that I can only explain as a growl. It seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine. This growl goes away very quickly like within a block or two and then the Vue sounds and runs perfect. I am at a loss as to where I should even start to look for answers. It is only on cold startups and lasts only a very short duration altho it does seem to be tied to the rpms as well. Thanks

Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

How's the oil level? Any disappearing?
How's the auto tranny fluid level? Any disappearing?
How many mi on vehicle?

Would be especially helpful if you could have a friend cold start the vehicle while you stand by the passenger side and try to narrow down the location of the noise.
e.g.
near the pulleys (could be pulley bearing
near the PS pump (if it has one, don't remember when they went electric PS )
Near the bottom of the engine
Near the transmission.

Once you've narrowed it down some, maybe post a pic and describe where on the pic the noise seems to be growling.

Someone else with an actual clue should come along soon to help.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I suspect timing belt tensioner noise, you need to get this checked out before failure.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Andy would be that guy.

Follow his instructions.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks I was able to have someone help me and after researching and listening I think it is the timing belt tensioner. The noise goes away very quickly ( about a minute) so I assume that has to do with pressure. Now I have a few more questions if anyone can help. #1. can I take just the top cover off the timing belt to get a better look without removing a lot of other things first . #2 If it is bad which I suspect which brand of timing belt/water pump kit would you recommend and #3 does anyone know of a good "how to " video or step by step instruction on the timing belt/tensioner/water pump replacement. I have never done this project before but I believe I am capable with proper instruction. I have watched some videos but they are pretty vague and I would like to be able to put everything back together with the proper torque specs. I have done a similar job on a Corolla that skipped a tooth but never actually had to remove the belt because I got lucky and when I went to remove the belt it jumped back into place. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Last edited by Atl-Packerbacker; 10-19-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

I recommend a Haines or Chilton manual for your Vue. They are written for the home mechanic and will list any special tools needed. I have not not worked on a Honda v6 for many years. The earlier models had two timing belts, I can research your model when I return home next week.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:05 AM

I don't know if this video will help you or not, but you can look at this one.
I would also recommend replacing the water pump at this time if you've got anywhere near 100,000 miles on it. Just call it preventative maintenance.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Thanks this will help but I am hoping to find a video or how to of the whole job including torque specs when putting things back together.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:18 AM

Thanks to all for the info. I found this video that I watched and now I know I can do the job. It is from a Honda but it is the same engine. The J35A3.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...b&action=click
I am going to order the parts tomorrow and hopefully do the job next weekend. Does anyone have their input as to what brand kit I should be looking at. RockAuto has decent prices on the Delco kit as well as the Aisin kit. They also have others in the same price range. I will be doing the entire job timing belt/ tensioners/ and water pump so any input would be greatly appreciated.This is the first Saturn I have worked on but so far every job I have done has been a breeze. Very happy so far. Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:01 AM

Personally I'd use the Aisin. It's Japanese aftermarket product. Toyota owns part of it and they use the OE specs to engineer all of their aftermarket parts. Back when I had Japanese imports, if I could find the Aisin parts I needed, that's what I used. If my Kia needs parts and I can find Aisin, I'll do the same thing. Good luck with it and above all things, work safe and TAKE YOUR TIME. You don't want to have to go back into again. Make sure you rotate the engine twice and align the timing marks. And it won't hurt anything at all to fire it up and let it run for a minute before putting it all back together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise...Growl