My 2002 Saturn Vue Needs Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 12:24 PM
Exclamation My 2002 Saturn Vue Needs Body Control Module

After careful review with a couple certified car professionals, the startup problem with my 2002 Saturn Vue (4 cylinder, manual) has been identified as my Body Control Module (model # 19116638) needing to be replaced. Unfortunately, this part has been discontinued and I can't find it anywhere! Anywhere! I've probably been on over 30 different parts sites. I'm coming to the gods of Saturn knowledge on this thread to point me in the right direction for where to find a new Body Control Module or any other tips that can help me resolve this issue. It's a beauty in every other way and I don't want to see it go. Help please!

Old 06-27-2023, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

From an Amazon parts review of all places

Replacement BCM for 2002 Saturn Vue
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on June 7, 2017
Works well and replaced a failing Body Control Module (BCM) in a 2002 Saturn Vue with 2.2L I4 engine and a 5 speed manual transmission.
This requires specialized programming with a dealer scan tool like a Tech 2 and the accompanying software on a computer terminal to set the correct parameters, else your vehicle will not run.

My symptoms included a dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. The air bag light, check engine light, and service engine light would come on. The tachometer would drop to zero and the dash ABS and BRAKE light would come on. The odometer would reset to zero miles if I disconnected the battery. When I reconnected the battery, the horn would beep and lights would flash like someone hit the panic button. The security light on the dash would come on and the fuel pump was cut off so the vehicle wouldn't run for 10 minutes. Basically, it was a mess and nothing seemed to work reliably.

A scan tool was able to pull codes from the Engine Control Module (ECM), Supplimental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) module, and Instrument Panel (I/P) module, and they indicated communication issues with the BCM. I did a lot of reading and learned that all my symptoms could be tied back to a failing BCM so I talked to a GM dealer and tried to figure out what BCM I would need, as mine was GM 22693423 and I could not find it anywhere.

Regarding part numbers, it seems that this 25779919 is the replacement BCM for most models of the first generation Saturn Vue from 2002 to 2007. However, if you look on Amazon's vehicle fitment helper it will tell you that this is not compatible with the 2002 model year. Technically, the correct model number for a replacement BCM on a 2002 Vue is 19116638, which actually appears to be a kit including the 25779919 BCM plus two LHJ011 key fobs. The 2002 Vue originally used LHJ009 key fobs and with the updated BCM they are no longer compatible, so GM was kind enough to create a new part number which included the updated fobs.

So, because the replacement BCM kit #19116638 for the 2002 Vue was expensive and hard to find, I pieced together my own for a much lower cost by purchasing this 25779919 unit and a pair of LHJ011 key fobs separately. After reprogramming it is good as new, no more dash lights, odometer is displaying the correct value, and the key fobs work as well.

Confirm with a GM dealer before ordering any of the above.

Special order. If still in stock. Has also been discontinued but was used on many more vehicles and if you have to extract one from a junkyard and have it reprogrammed, you just increased the number of years of models from two to six on your own for the fobs. This one wore me out

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-25779919

Old 06-27-2023, 12:27 PM

You may have just saved me and my car! Thank you for all your effort on this one. I called my mechanic and it sounds like they will be able to install the model # 25779919. It's funny that it looks to be the exact same Body Control Module as #19116638 but without the fobs. So I did what that other dude suggested and just bought them separately. The weird part is that all descriptions of #25779919 say it only fits Saturn Vues 2004-2006, but it looks to be the exact same and I'm hoping it'll work in my 2002. So I guess I won't know unless we try. I put an order in at Summit as you linked here, but after ordering, it looked like they are "backordered" which may actually mean they don't have it. But I surprisingly found it on Oreily's site and ordered it there. Says it'll be here tomorrow, which also seem improbable, but here's to hoping! I'll keep the thread updated here with any progress. Fingers crossed!

Old 06-27-2023, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

It's like Christmas early.....

The best place to go with questions like this is a GM dealer parts counter with an old experienced parts guy. Chevy's parts guys seem to be sympathetic to the Saturn cause. Others not so much.

Definitely take it to a GM dealership to have them then match the programming. Do not put it in the car ahead of time. They will not swap it unless they can see the mileage on the current one. Actually take a picture of that before it craps out. Dealers will not get within 80 ft of transferring a questionable mileage during the repair like this. They will balk at the fact that you have not purchased it from them. Tell them to explicitly write on the service ticket 48-hour warranty or something that gives you long enough to test at all the functions work and that it was programmed properly. Request no warranty besides that because they don't want to be liable for someone else's part and that is not at all unreasonable.

Other dealers will claim they no longer have access to the BCM programming files for Saturns. They can request them and receive them overnight for use in the service Bay. Be careful when calling their bluff because if you leave them with egg on their face they're not going to do it for you.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:32 AM

Thanks again for the helpful tips. I called my local GM dealer to double check before I bought the part and they sound pretty confident that they can do it. Great tips on taking a picture as well as getting a warranty to test out their work for a couple days. Oreily's says the part will be here today. Once I confirm it's the real deal I'll book my appt with the mechanic and I'll update the group here on the outcome.

Old 06-28-2023, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

If they offer you a full warranty, take it and run of course. Please let us know how it works out (some people get so excited they forget)

Old 07-14-2023, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Anddddd.......

Old 07-15-2023, 07:26 AM

Another never to be heard from again. Gratitude, huh?

Old 07-19-2023, 01:57 AM

Hey I saw the bcm listed on rock auto too btw. He/she/it could have just gone the junkyard route too and gotten one there and just had the Chevy dealer reprogram that one. ..