brakes drag after 20 minutes of stop n go.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
The temp on the ps wheel indicates what derf said. You have a caliper that's sticking. Replace that thing and happy motoring. You seem to be willing to try different things and that's great, but you're just doing extra work that a simple caliper change would most likely take care of.
Hey rube, I know. .. But I've gathered more data on this issue. Could a slight vacuum issue on the booster vacuum hose or the check valve have caused it? The problem went completely away. Only thing I touched was adjust the brake switch but that was NOT interfering with the brake pedal. and removed the booster hose for inspection. Took the check valving off and just looked at it. Didn't know how to check it. But after doing that, issue hasn't come up. Knock on wood! I'm doing the treat brakes today, pads are very low.

Last edited by 2008vueXE; 02-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM

That one's got me stumped, but that isn't hard to do. I'm not very smart anyway. Perhaps there was a slight crimp in the hose from the check valve and your removing it straightened it out. I don't know of any way to test a check valve, but they rarely go bad. Just enjoy driving it now that you seem to have it fixed and post back if it starts to act up again. Stay active on the forum or your account will be deleted. You got to participate to hang around.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM

Ok. Problem solved. After removing like I said 2 days ago, the Brake hose for inspection, it seemed to have done the trick. So yeah rube, original hose and never been touched. Must have formed some crispy film just enough to cause a leak. But I did the rear brakes yesterday. I did the fronts like 3 months ago. But anyways, here are the pads. Notice the thinner one? That's the culprit. P.s. rear. The caliper pin grease btw, was some what dry. Definitely dry enough to be concerned. So I think my diagnosis of a slight booster hose vacuum leak and some what dry caliper pins was the problem. Wouldyou guys agree? I'll be hanging around here.

Attached Thumbnails brakes drag after 20 minutes of stop n go.-20130203_132933.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM

I can't wrap my head around that vacuum leak, but who knows? As far as the caliper pins go, yes, they do need to be properly lubricated in order to work the way they're supposed to. And sticking around here is a good idea. A lot of these guys know the Saturns very well and can help you out when you have a problem. I'm just a 56 year old novice. I keep my own cars going and have for over 40 years, but I don't claim to be a mechanic or know that much.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM

So far so good. They haven't dragged.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Good news and two thumbs up for being persistent.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Hahahaha! What a world! Guess what. Problem is back. Lol. But on the good side, it's not that bad as before but the culprit is still there. I noticed this morning after being in traffic for 30 of city driving that my pedal felt a little hard. Not as hard as before but slightly. I figured it's just me but when I came to s stop light with a slight inclination I put the car in neutral. And yup, car didn't roll. The brake dragging. But after driving for another 3 minutes or so the brakes slightly hard feel went away. Put the car in neutral and the car rolled. Lol I'll olollolol. I'm going mad!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Would a booster check valve do this symptom? Or a master cylinder? I'm beginning to think brake line of the rear passanger since it's the one with the 40 less pad on one side . If not the caliper. Oh boy.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM

I'm just going to try the cheapest route. Brake line first. 32 $.any thoughts appreciated.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM

But I'm close. Everything I did helped a lot! Also, a brake booster wouldn't do a intermittent symptom right? Shouldn't it just fail and not fix is self?

Last edited by 2008vueXE; 02-10-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: brakes drag after 20 minutes of stop n go.